Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Question

What's up guys. I did a search, but couldn't come up with anything. I don't know if this question is dumb or not, but here it goes.

If my battery dies, does it lose my tune?

Thanks,

John
Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RealDealCamSS
What's up guys. I did a search, but couldn't come up with anything. I don't know if this question is dumb or not, but here it goes.

If my battery dies, does it lose my tune?

Thanks,

John
Deffinatly not a dumb question...i would hope not just b/c that sh*t would get expensive but i wouldnt mind getting an answer too, anyone know???
Old 05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that's gotta be the dumbest question ever!!!
j/k :beer:

Nope you will not loose your tune... the tune is stored in flash memory... you could pull the PCM out and store it for years and it'd be just like when you pulled it... with the exception of the Learning stuff (LTRIMs and some other items)

so no worries of losing a tune due to no power
Old 05-07-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good question, and NOT a stupid one. I could use an answer too!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:20 AM
STF Veteran

It may just struggle for a day trying to find the proper idle.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Yes these gentlemen are absolutely correct. Disconnecting your battery will not lose your tune. BUT yes there is a but.....If you had decided to pull your pcm bat and pcm ign fuses then you would lose it, I think???? and it goes back to the factory tune. Im almost certain on this as I know of a lot of guys remove those fuses to reset their pcms back to stock whenever they get codes or whatever the problem may be. I used to do this when my car was bone stock and then when I had that garbage granttelli MAF. Double Check me anyone! Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

How is diconnecting the battery any different then pulling the fuses?

Originally Posted by santino04
Yes these gentlemen are absolutely correct. Disconnecting your battery will not lose your tune. BUT yes there is a but.....If you had decided to pull your pcm bat and pcm ign fuses then you would lose it, I think???? and it goes back to the factory tune. Im almost certain on this as I know of a lot of guys remove those fuses to reset their pcms back to stock whenever they get codes or whatever the problem may be. I used to do this when my car was bone stock and then when I had that garbage granttelli MAF. Double Check me anyone! Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Good question??????? See thats what Im saying Im not sure, I never had my battery die or had to disconnect all the way, only the negative I ever disconnect. HMMMMM we may have something here that needs an answer. Time to call Speed Inc hahaha!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by santino04

absolutetly not true... once the PCM is flashed the only way you're going to lose the tune is if it's reflashed... when you flash the PCM your stock tune is gone... it's not in the PCM...

Pull the PCM Bat and PCM Ign fuses clear the LTRIMs and a few other items and resets the PCM... that's why you need to do a idle relearn afterwards... it's the same as pulling the battery
or pulling the PCM from the car ...

So when your car PCM is modified you can pull any fuses you want... it's not going to reset the PCM to a stock tune... it's going to be just the same as when you pulled the fuses ... just the temporary memory will be cleared

When you pull the fuses to clear a code that's just clearing the temporary memory... the actual tuned part of the PCM isn't in temporary memory... it's stored on a flash chip ...

hell.. my spare PCM sat on a shelf for 3 months... put it in last weekend.. and the car fired right up if it had reset to stock a tune for 26lb injectors doesn't work too good on a car w/42lb injectors...

Last edited by horist; 05-07-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

OK, cool. I jumped my car back to life, and after a little while, figured out that it did not lose the tune. My car still idled at the set 800rpm instead of 700rpm, although a pesky SES light was gone! Nice....

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was a great question and great answers. I was curious about this myself.