Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not sure about buying carI ha

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure about buying carI ha

There are 2 Z28's at a local dealer. There is a 2002 Pewter Convertable w/ about 34,000 miles for about 18,000. And a 1999 Black Coupe with 57,000 miles for about 14,000. Both are ATX. I'm just wondering if these are decent prices. They are both in really good condidtion.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

From a dealer, you could probably get them down an xtra thousand. but those seem like normal prices for those cars with that kind of miles on it.
I'm partial to convertibles myself!
Old 05-07-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like good/normal prices for those cars. I am partial to black but lower miles is always appealing... I would go with what you like the best or you are always going to regret it.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Launching!

i would prefer the black t's. is there anything farly common that i should look at? I was kind of looking for a M6, but as long as the ATX is a good transmission. I have an ATX car right now, and i'm not that thrilled with it. I'm looking at the "classifieds" in this website and i think i could get a much better deal. What do you guys think. The only downside is i was going to finance through a dealer, what would my options be about doing it through here.

Last edited by Guy2626c; 05-07-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Chop-Foo Director

prices look about right. Go for the 2002, trust me. You get a few
more ponies right off the bat with it over the 99.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

drop-tops are so much nicer. I have the top down all the time, and its nice to have a simple switch to drop it, you can even do it sitting at a redlight. My previous t-top car was cool, but not as convenient for top-down time.

The '02 will have about 10-15 more hp. Better LS6 intake and cam specs. If stock hp matters to you.

automatic tranny is fine until you get around 400 rwhp (heads/cam range) then they need to be rebuilt/upgraded (about $2K). 6-speeds are rock solid, and get better gas mileage.

Your prices seem normal, nothing "smoking deal" about them. If you want to buy from an individual, check out www.LendingTree.com and apply for a loan. If approved, you often get a few different loans to choose from (different banks) and they will mail you a check. The check can be used to purchase a car from an individual, or a dealership. Of course, they will give you a slightly better interest rate if you are buying from a dealership.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

to me it looks like the 'vert is a better deal, but I think if you look around you can find much better prices.

Also, I would get the transmission you want. Don't just settle for something cause you want a car. You'll kick yourself over and over, and then probably go buy it anyways and costing you more money in the long run....or at least thats the way I am, so i've learned to buy exactly what I want.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rule of thumb is to always by the newer version when looking at same type of cars. Only if the older one is way more rare, has some special items done to it or you can't live without it does the rule go out the window.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in your EXACT boat 2 years ago when I bought my car. It was a 2000 w/ 16k miles on her, and I paid 19k out the door. Not too bad a deal... BUT, I wanted a 6 speed for years, and when I saw my car I impulse bought it even though it was an A4. In the last 2 years, I've thought about trading it in, I've thought about doing a tranny swap... all sorts of crazyness. Get what you want, that's all I've got to say on it.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

I have had both, an M6 (manual) and A4 (automatic). For a weekend car, the M6 is the way to go. For a daily driver, which is what I have now, an automatic is the way to go.
They both have their +'s & -'s.

I had my choice but I chose an A4 this time for a daily driver. I would definately not be happy with an M6 for a daily driver.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Launching!

that's a good point. This would be a daily driver, and i do live in Northern NJ, which can have a lot of traffic. Although i've always found the a M6 is more fun
Old 05-09-2004, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

i would go with the coupe just because i hate convertiables. I think they don't seal good and i live in a cold part of the country. and when the top is up i would think there would be a lot of wind noise. But if you live were its warm go witht eh convertiable. just personal preferance though.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I thought my motocycle was more fun to drive than any car but because of my lifestyle (4 kids, coaching baseball, basketball, etc) I never had the time to ride it. So I sold it. Same for the M6, it was a weekend car. It mostly sat in the garage and I could not justify having it at the time, so I sold it about a year ago. My daughter just turned 16 and I gave my daily driver to her and I bought an A4 as my daily driver. I use the A4 driving to work in traffic and carrying kids around to and fro from school and practice. So for me, an M6 would be more of a headache than fun for me as a daily driver. I have to adapt my car to my lifestyle, so I am very pleased with the A4. However, I will probably buy another motorcycle before I buy a M6.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Simply go with what you like more. Take them both for a drive. I've owned both hardtop and droptop. I love the open air driving. They are a little heavier and for modding you run into a few minor obstacles when working underneath the car - primarily header installs and suspension upgrades. These things can be worked around. Also keep in mind if you are planning to race it Convertibles aren't quite the best choice as they aren't as "solid" and most tracks have tougher restrictions as in needing a rollcage. As far as the automatic / stick debate? I originally wanted a stick shift but got an auto cause the car was everything else I wanted and a good deal. HOWEVER, if you get a good stall converter - the car will be just as fast - if not faster than a stick and nearly as much fun to drive too. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Launching!

i'm thinking about the coupe, i like t-tops, and the black. With the transmission, i'm not too sure. I mean i'm in no way planning on a family anytime soon, but this will be a daily driver, and most likely see the fun winters here as well. So i'm starting to lean towards an auto.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Launching!

For the record you can haul kids around in an Fbody.........
The back seats are big enough for children up to about 12 or so before it starts to become "uncomfortable" for their knees. I've been hauling around my children in mine for years. Heck at one time I had my (x) wife and 2 cars seats with a 1 year old in one and 3 year old in the other! Where theres a will theres a way!

If you have wintery winters, I'd suggest getting a winter beater car. Don't punish your nice fbody with road salt. Plus they are not fun to drive on slick surfaces. If you HAVE to drive in the winter, pick up some thinner winter tread tires and DO NOT GET A CONVERTIBLE. Winters are VERY HARD on the top.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Launching!

ok, i'm thinking about a winter beater, but i have no where to store the fbody during the winter. As the garage is already taken up. I'm going to take the auto for a test drive tommorrow, if it's in a good condition, i might make an offer.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=elderon]For the record you can haul kids around in an Fbody.........

I have a 16, 14, 10, 9 year old. The 10 & 9 year old fit just fine in the back seats, the 16 & 14 year old is a tight squeeze. The 16 yr old has her own car now, in two years the 14 yr old will be 16 and the 10 then will graduate to the front seat.

Heck I squeezed 5 people in my Ford Ranger. Three in the front and two smaller kids in the back jumper seats. Like you said, where there is a will, there is a way
Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GRAYZ
I have a 16, 14, 10, 9 year old. The 10 & 9 year old fit just fine in the back seats, the 16 & 14 year old is a tight squeeze. The 16 yr old has her own car now, in two years the 14 yr old will be 16 and the 10 then will graduate to the front seat.

Heck I squeezed 5 people in my Ford Ranger. Three in the front and two smaller kids in the back jumper seats. Like you said, where there is a will, there is a way

Hehe. Nice. Everyone always told my my fbody's weren't family cars, but WE KNOW BETTER!!!
Honestly I feel safer in that car. I can easily make surprise emergency maneuvers, and accelerate easily on on-ramps, and pass other cars with no problem.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I couldn't hardly get 13,500 for a damn nice '99 SS with 45k miles 3 months ago.
I was offered 15k from some kid with daddy's check, who turned out to be totally clueless about cars, so between that douche bag and the lowballers, f-it. It obviously means alot more to me than them.