New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on a potential trans am purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a potential trans am purchase

I found a great 98 trans am with 100k miles on craigslist. It has the usual bolt ons (intake,exhaust,coilovers) and looks great inside out. The only thing that is making me nervous about the car is the master clutch cylinder the buyer told me about. He stated that there is a performance master installed and if you do not drive correctly, it grinds. I have not had any luck in searching for the validity of this statement throughout the internet. I dont think anything should grind purposely. This sounds fishy to me and I just wanted to see if someone could clarify if this is true or not. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers??

With the STOCK master, it will grind if you try to shift at high rpms. With a "performance" master it should not; this is the entire point of installing a "performance" master. Ask him what brand it is. If it's anything other than a Tick/Tilton it may just be failing.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find out what master is on the car, make sure its the master that is the problem, otherwise it could be the trans starting to go out.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Launching!

the likely hood that the master Is making it grind is rare... realistically speaking its ur syncros... but u got good news and bad news here.

good news is u can rebuild it with carbon kevlar syncros, new snap rings, pro billet keys and bronz shift pads, along with a steal 3-4 fork and the upgraded hardened aluminum 1-2 fork. Either way ull have to rebuilt it eventually. You've got the Borg Warner in that car. The tremmic put in the later years (1999 and on, i think) is a little better.

bad news is that parts and labor will cost ya about $800-$850. there is a guy in Georgia that will do it perfect hes done it on three cars i know of out here and they have no grind at all its literally perfect.

PM me and ill send u my number if u need any more help or got more questions about your car. I've owned about 12 F-bodies. but honestly, the 1998 is the worst year u can buy. so be careful
Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 PM

ok thanks for all the input guys! ill take some time and think about this one
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Teching In

its Probably the syncros

Quick Reply: Question on a potential trans am purchase