Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy.

I am in the market for a T/A with an Ls1 motor. I brand new to the Ls1 and T/A game and I figured this was the best place to start asking questions. I do not plan on building a drag car but I hope to take it to the track every once in a while to mess around. I really just want a very reliable DD that is fun to drive.

How many miles is too much with out a rebuild?
What are the common issues with the T/A?

Thank you for the help and hopefully very soon I will be driving around in T/A.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

LS1's will run for a long time as long as you take care of them. Do a search and you will find plenty of guys with high mileage LS1s.

As far as common issues, head light motors, window motors, leaking t-tops, cracked dash. Here is a good thread, but if you search you'll find a bunch of info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-body-ls1.html
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rldevogt
I do not plan on building a drag car but I hope to take it to the track every once in a while to mess around.
Famous last words

Any year is fine, especially if one wants to mod. There are some specific year-to-year differences that you'll be able to learn about (head over the Firebird section), so it's purely subjective what you would prefer based on those things. Otherwise, you won't run into an issue that hasn't been solved before.

Miles are not a big deal especially if the car has been maintained. I'd take a 150k mile car that is clean over a 70k mile car that has been neglected (not just drivetrain-wise, but interior/cosmetically -- tell-tale signs of neglect).

Good luck! It's an addicting platform!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Much depends on your budget. I would suggest getting an 01-02 car. They have better PCV systems and GM used the LS6 intake on the LS1 motors those years.

Common problem areas are oil leaks, rusty floor boards, rusty brake lines, torn drivers seat, and cracked dash to list a few.

Mine leaks oil from the rear main and it used to leak oil from the cam position sensor but I got that one fixed. Most common spot for rust i've heard is the floor boards under the rear seats.

I would recommend pulling the trouble codes on any car you look at if the owner will allow you to.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Famous last words

Miles are not a big deal especially if the car has been maintained. I'd take a 150k mile car that is clean over a 70k mile car that has been neglected (not just drivetrain-wise, but interior/cosmetically -- tell-tale signs of neglect).
x2 On this
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I'd say window motors is one of the most famous problems along with leaking t tops. Like stated before when buying any used car, the condition of it is always more important than the mileage.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind the common issues are CHEAP to handle. The window motors, for instance, are like $30 and an hour or so of your time.

Oil leaks? Rear main is common, but that's easy enough to whip a new gasket in every time you pull the tranny for a clutch swap.

Lastly, referencing the 01/02 getting the LS6 manifold -- One can pick a LS6 manifold up for like $400. Add another $100 to the '04 LS6 PCV conversion and voila! A 99 with a LS6 manifold will run better than an 01/02 with the stock manifold simply because the cam is a bit more aggressive.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love shopping for a used Fbody T/A you will see an assortment of them from stock to mild to wild. After a short time even newbies will be able to see an engine pic in the ad and tell if it is stock or has been modded. If you want a low mileage LS1 that is stock and driven by a weekend enthusiast, or If you want to cut to the chase and buy one with some mods like headers and tune, or the goods with cam, heads, lots of engine and suspension mods...the prices for them all aren't too far off.

Quick Reply: About to buy.