Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did i blow the bar bell out

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i blow the bar bell out

I just did a lq4 swap in my 98 ta. I called local engine shop on how to prime up engine. They told me tgey take a air gun and stick it in dipstick and pressure up the block as they crank engine over with coils unplugged and with oil filer off and when oil comes out put filter back on and plug in coils and hit it with air as u start it will prime right up. So i did got oil put filter on plugged coils in hit it with air wifw hit the key and she started right up let off air and no oil pressure. Wife shut it right off.k pulled filter did it all again same. Pull oil pump check o ring look fine was red 1 napa so ran to chevy got a new one its blue put it in same pulled it back apart o ring fine put back together same no pressure on its own with the air i got 20 ish and oil in o filter but valve train telling its not my sencer.i did have a hell of a time getting the gearbox in i pulled it with the bolts but it went in smooth and even didnt have to crank on the bolts like it was in a bind plz help
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Call a machine shop and asked if i could have pushed the back of the crank out with the pilot bushing and they said its solid no plug to push out the worst i could of done is smashed bushing.they say o ring its not the oring im thinking barbell some how never even took back cover off so how could it be bad. I did put a cam in but that slid right in and spring swap and pushrods.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Default Not

No way on the "barbell" being pushed back. Wheres it going to go?

Most likely you have stuck oil pressure relief valve in oil pump. Could be you lost the o-ring but unlikely if it was installed correctly. If you can get the oil pan off you can access the pressure relief assembly.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Teching In

I call tsp and told them everything ive tried and he told me cant be anything on the backside of block. Crank is solid so pilot bush couldnt of done anything and even if the bar bell was bad it would still have low pressure. I know the oring is good and sealing and i checked the relief dont see any gap where the plunger seats. He told me that he has seen them take up to 3 min to prime up the top end and the gauge i needed to let it run . Or he dont know
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I let it run like they said and after 2 mins it locked up tight ... just joking coud bring myself to let it run i made up a pump and sucked oil threw the pickup tube to check it good flow. Put pump back in and with the gears still out put hose on the inlet side and pumped the oil into the outlet side. It went straight out the oil filter hole. Put filter on and let pump nothing to the top end turned the crank while it was pumping and nothing with a 40 psi pump should be something i see nothing nothing out of cam bearing pushrods nothing . I then took the hose and plumb it to pump right up to the top threw the filter hole and nothing i can hear oil running somewhere back to the pan but its not from my heads

Quick Reply: did i blow the bar bell out