Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipped from 3rd to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipped from 3rd to 2nd

ok today i was driving on my way home from a friends house. i was in third and just gave it WOT as the car reached 5K rpm. instead of going from 3rd to 4th i went from 3rd to 2nd. the car lurched foward and it turned off. as i rolled i turned it back on and was worried that maybe i bent a pushrod. i stop i don't hear the normal tick thats heard when people bend a rod. car rides as powerful as ever. do you think i caused any damage at all even though i can't hear anythin wrong.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

i need info somebody help me cause some people say that i for sure have bent pushrods but after i left my friends house i took my car off the line and it scared the sh*t out of me cause it got more sideways than usual and pulled past 5k rpm. what will happen if i go got one bent. will my engine just go???
Old 05-11-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
i need info somebody help me cause some people say that i for sure have bent pushrods but after i left my friends house i took my car off the line and it scared the sh*t out of me cause it got more sideways than usual and pulled past 5k rpm. what will happen if i go got one bent. will my engine just go???

I've misshifted more than anyone else that I know.. If you're not hearing any ticking or tapping then you may have gotten by on this one.. Me on the other hand bent about 3 pushrods..

If you're worried and just want to put your mind at ease.. Pull the valve covers, pull the rods, and roll them on glass to check them out.

Also, from what I was told. If you'd bent a valve you'd definitely know it because the car would probably idle and run like crap. Did you get an SES light at all?

But like you said, you don't hear any ticking, and the car is still running strong. Just be careful and try not to do it again. If you haven't already purchased one, get you a new shifter B&M or Pro 5.0. They help to cut down on the misshifts..
Old 05-11-2004, 02:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
ok today i was driving on my way home from a friends house. i was in third and just gave it WOT as the car reached 5K rpm. instead of going from 3rd to 4th i went from 3rd to 2nd. the car lurched foward and it turned off. as i rolled i turned it back on and was worried that maybe i bent a pushrod. i stop i don't hear the normal tick thats heard when people bend a rod. car rides as powerful as ever. do you think i caused any damage at all even though i can't hear anythin wrong.
I did this same exact thing about 2-3 weeks ago racing my friend in his SS (btw, this was before the pro 5.0 ). Car didn't shut off, but shuddered very rapidly until I pressed the clutch back in. I finished my drive home (about 2 miles) and was worried like no other. The next day, I took it out again to see if it still ran strong........busted his *** worse than I ever have! I don't think you have much to worry about. That's why we have a rev limiter, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

oh thanks alot guys i feel much better now. just the car ran a monster after is happened. so i guess nothing happened after all. no ticking noise and full power through out the power band. i'll make sure to never do that sh*t again thats for sure.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Question: I am not sure, but i think when shifting from 3 to 2, the rev limiter will not be effective, the only thing that would save you is to stand on the clutch ASAP before damage is done. Is this correct?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can survive a 3-2 mis shift if you get back into the clutch right away...
what gets you is mechanical overrev...

you can shift and miss not get it into gear ...and you will just hit the rev limiter...but its a fuel/spark shut off...

if youshift from 5k in 3rd down into 2nd...you would be spinning like 7500-8000.... its mechanincal ...not fuel/spark related...its completey based on your gears

If you get back into the clutch before it grabs you can keep it from really getting up into the danger zone.... and If you have stock top end you will likely bend a pushrod before a valve...which are cheap and easy to replace...
if you have hardened pushrods...something else has got to go...and usualy at that much rpm it causes valve float...which means piston to valve issue..and you bend a pushrod...... onsome ocassions I have seen the rod bolts let go and you lose the whole motor..

feel lucky...and get a good shifter like a pro 5.0 and learn some proper shifting technique to help eliminate that mis-shift......and when HE gets done with it...buy a 3-2 shift eliminator from harlan(y2khawk)
Old 05-11-2004, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I did the same thing. But luckily never let out the clutch all the way.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Harlan is working on a 3-2 eliminator? That will be the best invention EVER.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

I've done that a few times but got right back on the clutch. No damage at all. You are probably ok this time.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

I have yet to mis-shift, or do a 3-2 shift, or anything of that sort. But, seeing that Harlan is making a 3-2 shift eliminator, made me think, wouldn't a 2-1 eliminator be a pretty good idea too? Seems that would be one that could get messed up quite often as well, if not more often than the 3-2? Oh well, just my .02

-Jason
Old 05-12-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

well i got a big scare when i did that but glad nothing happened. for sure when harlan makes that 3-2 eliminator i am getting on of those with the quickness.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Just have to say that just because there are no clear indications of the bent pushrod doesn't mean that it didn't happen. It'd probably still be worth the time and effort just to check. You might've done something small that would result in a 5 HP loss, and every little bit counts right? I need to do the same thing, but I think when I do I'm just going to replace them with chromoly just for good measure.

Justin
Old 05-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Teching In

i did the same thing abouth 3-4 months ago and the same thing happened 2-3 misshift, car shuut off, car ran perfect, and now about 1 week ago there was a bad tapping, turns out about 3-4 pushrods are bent, one so bad its now tapping a vavle and i havent since that one time missed a shift, so i guess they were bent the whoile time becase my mechanic says that the rods have been like that for a while