New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get reliable cheap O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to get reliable cheap O2 sensors?

My last batch of GM sensors ran $200 (ouch). I seem to go through them every 2000 miles! I will need the extentions for longtubes.

Let me know where to find them for cheap.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're all made by Bosch or NGK anyway, the
difference is basically just gouging. As long as
they come connectorized, AutoZone ones are
fine. You probably need to try keeping more
heat in the exhaust so they don't foul as fast,
and check your tuning (snake eating its own tail).
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bend over and take it deep, j/k, lol, I just ordered a set for the front and sims for the back, but one of the front ones had a slow response and I found out they have a 1 year warranty, btw mine are the bosch ones
Old 05-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Bosch with a one year warranty sounds good. How much for two and where did you get them?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Do the autozone O2s have the extentions for the long tubes?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to pick up the latest edition on GM High tech performance. Denso O2s are reviewed in the back of the magazine. They are off on the price, though. They run about $58 each. They are lead resistant also. Do a search on here for them. Alot of the Turbo buick guys are running these (www.turbobuick.com).
Old 05-15-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

If you bought them from GM.. aren't they warranted??
Old 05-15-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

based on info i read from a few GM PCM tuning forums, its wise to stick to DELCO original o2's. There was a discussion on how the bosch/etc did not behave exactly the way they do on fords/etc.

But, my vw came with a $170 bosch sensor. I went to autozone and picked up a cheap bosch 13953 (89 5.0 LONG LEADS) for $38.50. It worked most excellently, getting 28mpg (cruise@65) running 440cc on my 4 banger.

Since i have hptuners, and it is known fact that o2 sensors readings are SKEWED once you go LT/ORY anyways, i'd go with whats cheapest. Since i can modify the tune to adjust the air fuel. oh yeah i have 2 widebands too one NTK, one Bosch lsu-4 so im not dickin around if the time comes.

One note: After putting on the TSP extensions i keep getting random P0135 heater circuit failure. Datalogging on cold start however shows the heaters are working by comparing the slope of the heatup of the sensors (test done in jan) and the sweep range. I attribute this to crappy extensions but was too lazy to replace them, so i nuked P0135 for now and just datalog my car often (gotta love hptuners) to make sure things are in check.

Only the cat's are warranted for 8/80K IIRC, the rest of the shiz is under the original warranty of 3/36K (i might have those #'s wrong).

GM doesn't have to warrant parts you install, all it takes is the lube on the threads getting on the sensor to ruin a o2 sensor, or dropping it, etc. Most parts store will not accept returns on electrical parts either. Most credit card platinum benefits exclude automotive parts, but amex i think once backed me up on a sensor that didn't work, it was like $10 but it was the principal that i paid for something that could have been used for something other than automotive purposes and indeed that was what i was doing.

I've got 71.5K on my original o2's they seem happy. As long as they sweep and heat, as they get older they tend to peak (rich) lower and sweep rich/lean slower. Mine are fine and actually respond just like my previous VW o2 sensor in peak and low trough Millivolts (0-1V). I had ran that vw bosch sensor rich for months (10:1 air fuel then washed it with a blown headgasket with a nice steam bath). Oddly it still performs well.

YMMV, if i had no tools to scan/edit the ecm i'd stick to delco. If it was really cost beneficial to go aftermarket i'd just tune around any differences in behaviour since i already paid for hptuners