New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In over my head?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In over my head?

What up guys... LS newbie here with a few questions.

I am planning an LS swap into my Mustang. I am starting to gather up some stuff and had the realization I'm might in over my head. Figured I'd stop in here for a little advice before I end up just throwing money away. I bought a 5.3 longblock out of a Trailblazer for $200 a while back. The aluminum block/heads was the sales pitch to me. Bare longblock with no ECU, wiring, or accessories and it does need a re-ring and should be good to go (or so I'm told). I have started shopping around for rebuild kits and wiring harnesses with ECUs and am seeing complete running engines in places for $500-$700. Just in my quick math, I see least $500-$700 easily going into my $200 engine for a rebuild and getting everything I need to get it running and hope it'll need nothing else. I guess my questions start here.

Should I bail out of the 5.3 I have now and opt for something else that's already running and complete?

I've also read that you need model specific ECU and harnesses for the engine you have. Any truth to that?

I'm just trying to get the car into running order again and trying to not blow a ton of money doing so. I honestly just wasn't thinking at the time I bought the engine of how much extra stuff that I'd need to go along with what I bought.

Thanks in advance guys...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think any ECM can be flashed. The harness maybe because a lot of junk gets eliminated. This said, because of this very issue you are going through, I'm leaning on an LQ4 or an LQ9 pulled from vehicle with uncut wiring harness, ECM, ect. Only problem with that is I cant use any of the brackets, pulleys, water pump, or harmonic balancer. For those I need the stuff from an LS F Body. So it's kinda like an expensive twofer for me...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

bail out of that deal. Get a good running motor with all the accessories for just a bit more. What year of of mustang is this going in? You could always run a standalone system. Try checking the conversions section out for more detailed info.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
bail out of that deal. Get a good running motor with all the accessories for just a bit more.
That's what I would do. Get a 2001-2002 5.7l LS1 that's complete from intake to pan, water pump to trans tail shaft, and includes wiring harness and ECU.

Piecing together all these little parts will nickel and dime you to death: fasteners, clips, PCV, starter, etc. And don't forget all the trips to the parts store to get all these little things. And you also don't have to worry about compatability.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Get a complete turn-key package. When I swapped my engine in the '73 Camaro I regret not going with turn-key to begin with. I got tired of being nickle and dimed for little things that it needed like pulleys, starter, alternator, brackets, etc. It adds up and just gets plain tiresome.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I've got some work and research ahead of me. Thanks for the answers guys. Got to looking at the car some more today and the torque boxes and strut towers are starting to show some age, may be pulling the plug on the project all together and going with a new ride. What a headache!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a ls motor in a fox body is a fast ride .you could do a stand alone motor .you can use the kit from edelbrock ,it has a intake and a ignition set up .you can mount a ford distributor on the front of a ls motor with the right timing cover .
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i regret not getting a complete drivetrain
so much figuring out what's missing
then locating and budgeting for it

that being said
i'd love to have that shortblock
would be killer in the turbo ls cressida wagon project i got planned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In over my head?