Sponsored by:

Please HELP :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP :(

***Warning Long story, please bear with me ***

Hi everyone, I have some break/suspension/wheel bearing problems.

So I have a 98 6sp Z28 with 120k on it. I've been dumb enough to drive on 3 wheel studs for a while, and bad shocks/truts which make the car really bouncy, anyway fast forward.

So 2 weeks ago on the highway I started getting these loud inside the wheel loud noises, it sounded VERY VERY familiar to my dad's Buick Century that needs to get it's Wheel Bearings fixed. So that was one guess I had, and it was a good one in my opinion.

I had a mobile mechanic come to my house and drive it in my neighborhood and he guessed the wheel studs, tie rod ends(they were torn) and while I'm at it, my very low break pads. So I received the parts that I ordered online.

I get ANOTHER mechanic(not the same guy as diagnosed the problem) to install the parts for me, but couldn't get one of my wheel studs out, it was really stuck on there, so he was gonna come back with tools later that day ect. He also installed the breaks and the tie rod ends

So he did all this stuff while I was at work, and my dad as at home watching him. So I get home at 2 from work and he is gone because to get tools and give his gf a ride to work ect. And I take the car out for a quick spin in the neighborhood to see if I feel any improvements.

So right off the bat I notice something weird in my driveway.

The car doesn't move AT all on my slanted driveway, which is SUPER weird! Like if you have no E-Break on and my driveway has a tiny slant, my car wasn't rolling, that was one, it's not a huge slant or anything, but always DOES roll without any break, number two, the car when I put it in first gear and starting to roll/move with it, it has a sensation that it's coming out of a tiny pot hole, meaning I feel like there is a tiny bit of struggle/effort of the car starting to move, as if it's front wheels its resting in a pot hole and doing a tiny bit of a climbing out, I don't know if that description makes since, just has a bit of and effort.
OK so that's the first things I notice

Then I take out of the driveway, immediately I notice that I don't feel comfortable even taking it above 10mph, it feels as if it's been worse, feel the wheels rotation, it's loud, it's definitely NOT JUST THE WHEEL STUDS anymore. and there I go do a U-turn in a round-about in my neighborhood in a very low speed, and my I go turn left and doing it super slowly, and I really feel the tire rotation, as if it's a slow motion and can hear it, also considerable amount of tunnel noise just like my Dad's Buick century. So it definitely feels like my dad's wheel bearing, but after his installation it feels odd because I can't drive it up to 30ish more like 10ish.

I have a good confident feeling that the Wheel Hub/Bearing definitely needs to be replaced judging by the noises so similar to my dad and how it gets louder while turning towards left. BUT CANT POINT MY FINGER TO WHAT MADE IT WORSE AFTER THE WHEEL STUDS/TIE ROD ENDS/BREAKS INSTALLS

And finally, any explanations for the not rolling down the slant of my driveway?

Thanks to everyone in advance, I'm just super stuck right now and when my car feels ill, specially from something you don't know, and how much ect. You feel really uncomfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I would never trust a driveway mechanic.

Does the car pull to one side or the other, either when driving or under braking?

Jack up the car and try to turn the wheels by hand, they should spin. If they don't then you have a problem. Replacing the spindles is fairly easy. You can purchase them on line. Purchase new wheel studs as well. After replacing tie rod ends you MUST get an alignment.

Replace the struts and shocks if they are bad. Bad shock and struts will result in premature failure of other parts, damage tires, and can be dangerous.

If you aren't able to do the work yourself you need to take the car to a reputable front end shop. Yes it will cost you some money but in the long run it will save you money and make your car safer and more fun to drive.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Please HELP :(