New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake/Throttle Body Explanation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake/Throttle Body Explanation.

As my name will indicate...I am a "rookie"...the kind of guy who has the interest without the tools, the computer (brain) without the programs(info)...I need HELP!

My 2001 Firehawk has 30k miles and ever since I first got the thing it has accelerated at different "levels". I used to be a regular over at SLP.com and LS1.com and often heard how the throttle bodies were basically the problem and that Pontiac had many complaints. So what the F@#$ is my question? I would like to make some improvements to my car but will likely have to have someone do the work. Money is a concern...but I am interested in the LSX intake and a larger(??) more free flowing/efficient throttle body. What should I do and where should I get it? Next would be how much and where/who/how much should I expect to pay to have the work done. ROOKIE right? You got it! I have some minor mods but don't plan on any cam/header/ work for the next couple of years. Please help!

thanks

Mark
Old 05-13-2004, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

If you rule out a camshaft or headers, you'll be missing out on some of the best dollar to horsepower modifications you can do (short of nitrous or a torque converter if you an automatic). A mild cam/longtube header combo might run you 1200 dollars and I promise you-you can do the install yourself with all the great help you'll find here and all the great "how to" sites. A so called "stealth" cam may not require any computer work either..so you save there as well.

Don't waste your money on an LSX intake, clearly that intake was meant for heavily modified engines (search the external engine forum and you'll see what I mean.)

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with furiouss99. Check the boards for good HP per $ mods. Most important areas on these cars and any internal combustion engine is intake and exhaust. Just think of you're engine as a big efficient air pump. Lid, LT headers, you're 01 hawk already has the LS6 intake which is all the intake you need unless you really plan on going ape sh*t on the internal engine, Ported TB is a pretty nice mod, True duals are a must with LT's and cams really wake these engines up.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Default Do I Need A New Throttle Body?

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am not opposed to cam/header work...actually really would like to do that asap...however, I need some immediate help with the inconsistent throttle response. Is this due to the throttle body not being effective (sucking from manufacturer?) If so, what is the first thing I should due (least $$$) with the TB? I have the K&N FIPK installed so what should I do?

Next question(s) will be with what cam/head combo, torque converter, etc.

THERE GOES THE SAVINGS ACCOUNT!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with the others... scuttle the LSX intake idea until you go full heads/cam route. I'd install the LSX once I bought some aftermarket heads, since then it would be a "free labor" mod...

For increased throttle response, my ported throttle body did help some with that... I don't think it added much in the way of actual HP (maybe 5 rwhp at most I'm guessing), but the car responds more quickly than before when stabbing the accelerator.

Now if you're looking for the feeling of launching more quickly or accelerating more violently, I'd say your best bet next will be torque converter and gears (since it sounds like you have an A4)... after that, then I'd go with some longtube headers. Once those are in place, then you can start thinking about a cam and heads and the LSX intake if you so choose.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

I am not sure on the throttle response question I have not seen what you are explaining. But a good place to start is LT headers the power increase is great. You have the K&N thats good maybe just a ported stock TB and a SLP mass air. Then when you are ready We could set you up with a great Heads and Cam combo for the drivability and HP goals you are looking for. Do some more reading to find out what you may want out of the car and we can help you out.

Nate
Old 05-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Why don't you give us some more info on what your setup is, and your financial restrictions. We could advise better if we knew what you have.

Quick Reply: Intake/Throttle Body Explanation.