New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/y-pipe deleting egr and air

Old 03-23-2014, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headers/y-pipe deleting egr and air

I've looked around the forums and found a few things that would help me, but I would like a more direct answer. I just picked up a set of American Racing Headers, with a Kooks catted y-pipe with 500 miles on the setup, got it for $550 hope I didn't get ripped off but I thought it was a fair price, also came with the o2's and o2 extenders.

Now for my car, I own a 2000 SS Camaro, all stock besides for the Cat-back SLP LM1 exhaust. She still has the EGR and AIR but the headers don't have the bungs for the AIR I believe those are them could be wrong, but either way I'm going to delete the EGR and AIR, in order to do that I'm just going to block off the EGR and remove the AIR correct? I don't need block off plates for the AIR because the headers don't have those bungs, also after that I'm going to get the car retuned with out the EGR and AIR.

Also have another question about the headers, I'm going to change the spark plugs and wires while I'm doing the headers, can I stick to the original brand plugs or is there different plugs I should get for these headers? As by summer I will be running full bolt on's and getting her retuned. All of your input would be very much appreciated I'm very anxious to get this started and just want to make sure I do everything right as this is my daily driver and don't want her down for to long. Thanks in advance I appreciate it very much!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you will only need to block off the EGR on the intake manifold, the air will all go away. If your budget will allow I would do polyurethane motor mounts when the exhaust is out of the way and do the transmission in poly as well. Also if you can afford a LS6 intake manifold you won't have to mess with block off plates, and get all the new parts tuned at once. Spark plugs and wires... I would go with NGK-TR55 plugs and some stock wires.

I would also recommend getting new GM multi-layer steel header gaskets and use hi-temp copper anti-seize on the spark plug threads and header bots.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle11784
I've looked around the forums and found a few things that would help me, but I would like a more direct answer. I just picked up a set of American Racing Headers, with a Kooks catted y-pipe with 500 miles on the setup, got it for $550 hope I didn't get ripped off but I thought it was a fair price, also came with the o2's and o2 extenders.

Now for my car, I own a 2000 SS Camaro, all stock besides for the Cat-back SLP LM1 exhaust. She still has the EGR and AIR but the headers don't have the bungs for the AIR I believe those are them could be wrong, but either way I'm going to delete the EGR and AIR, in order to do that I'm just going to block off the EGR and remove the AIR correct? I don't need block off plates for the AIR because the headers don't have those bungs, also after that I'm going to get the car retuned with out the EGR and AIR.

Also have another question about the headers, I'm going to change the spark plugs and wires while I'm doing the headers, can I stick to the original brand plugs or is there different plugs I should get for these headers? As by summer I will be running full bolt on's and getting her retuned. All of your input would be very much appreciated I'm very anxious to get this started and just want to make sure I do everything right as this is my daily driver and don't want her down for to long. Thanks in advance I appreciate it very much!

Everything depends on what type of intake manifold you have. If you have the LS6 intake manifold where the EGR isn't connected to the top of the manifold its a easy install. If you have the LS1 intake which has the pipe that comes out of the top of the Manifold to the EGR you have to plate that as well. Most people have the LS6 intake.

I live in California but I'm a resident of New Mexico where we dont have to have EGR or emissions so when I put in my Kooks Long Tubes I just deleted the Air Pump and EGR all completely out of my car.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
Yes you will only need to block off the EGR on the intake manifold, the air will all go away. If your budget will allow I would do polyurethane motor mounts when the exhaust is out of the way and do the transmission in poly as well. Also if you can afford a LS6 intake manifold you won't have to mess with block off plates, and get all the new parts tuned at once. Spark plugs and wires... I would go with NGK-TR55 plugs and some stock wires.

I would also recommend getting new GM multi-layer steel header gaskets and use hi-temp copper anti-seize on the spark plug threads and header bots.
Thanks for the input I already planned on doing the motor mounts! Also I'm going to get the LS6 intake when I have the money, I'm getting my car inspected this week so before I do the work I'll have a year before I need to get my car inspected again, I live in new york so emissions are a bitch lol.

as for the transmission motor mount where would I buy that from? I seen the polyurethane motor mounts but I couldn't find the tranny mounts, my car is a M6 if that makes any different.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running a energy suspension poly trans mount on my 6 speed. I got it from texas speed, 52-3-1108G is the part # on my invoice.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
I'm running a energy suspension poly trans mount on my 6 speed. I got it from texas speed, 52-3-1108G is the part # on my invoice.
Thank you very much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers/y-pipe deleting egr and air