Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to learn about cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to learn about cams

Okay so I as I started to build my first ls i got the help of Martin@tick and he speced me out two cams for my build.
229/237 .627/.610 111+3
231/234 .617/.576 112+3

We'll as I was trying to get the one of the cams grind the guy told me this is to much lift and I would be breaking springs like crazy. I humped my shoulders and said I still wanted to try them. Five min later he came back with someone else and was like do I have the 243 yet I was like no I'm getting them later. Then he went into this long explanation that I don't have enough flow for these cams yet so why get them now just in case you don't ever get them heads. So not thinking I settled for a comp xer273. Now I'm looking did I just make a big mistake cause I hate to buy the same part twice. So I haven't installed it yet so should I just sale it and get the custom cam or try this one.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should first stop talking to the person that told you that those 2 cams have to much lift and will cause you to break valve springs. Then sell that other cam that you bought and buy 1 of those cams that Martin spec'd for you as part of a cam kit from Tick Performance with push rods and BTR valve springs.

The funny thing is even though that XER cam has less lift it will still probably be harder on valve springs because XER lobes have fairly aggressive lift rates. And what they said about the cam having more lift than your heads can use doesn't matter. Even if you have more lift than your heads can flow you will still gain power, because the flow wont drop off above a certain lift but instead will level off, meaning you will be at max flow for a longer amount of time than if you had a lower lift cam with the same duration.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

High lift doesn't determine how aggressive the cam lobes are it's the ramp rates that do. So with that said the Comp Cams XE-R lobes on your XER273HR(224/230 114lsa+2, lift .581"/.588") cam are just as aggressive or more so then the lobes on the cams Martin@tick suggested. Furthermore the "this is to much lift and I would be breaking springs like crazy" line is a bunch of B.S. ! Your valve springs will wear out just as fast if not faster on the XER273HR, than on either one of the cams Martin@tick recommended. The XER273HR isn't a bad cam, it' just doesn't compare at all to the other two cams, and it sounds like you were clearly misinformed because they knew you wouldn't know otherwise. IMO, I'd get a refund if possible especially if it's the shop that misinformed you, otherwise sell it.
I'd also recommend you educate yourself a little bit more before proceeding further.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

you either trust you builder and cam guy or you do this.. I used Martins cam and has a similar profile.. I am completely happy with what I got and how it works.. the reality is his stuff works, does what he says and for the most part people are happy.. You ask another cam person that has his own interest involved your going to get a different answer.. the same goes for the next 100.. take that to the bank.. and it just my $.02
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM
Teching In

i understand most it just the cam i just dont know how to spec and but they werent my builder just the guy that grind the cam. i was dead set on getting the second one i listed. but as 99bluz28 said i trying to educate myself a little but more before i put this one in and be upset.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

one thing posters never mention is where peak power is on these "big" cams. im a person that doesnt like to rev over 6k rpm & nobody talks about revving to 6500 etc to reach max rwhp. my whimpy ls6 cam hits peak at 5750 rpm where the heck do these monsters peak???????? nuff said.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
one thing posters never mention is where peak power is on these "big" cams. im a person that doesnt like to rev over 6k rpm & nobody talks about revving to 6500 etc to reach max rwhp. my whimpy ls6 cam hits peak at 5750 rpm where the heck do these monsters peak???????? nuff said.
The xer273 to most is considered to be a baby cam from what I researched and according to the cam quest thing on comp it peaks at 6500.

Quick Reply: Trying to learn about cams