New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Hose with Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Hose with Coolant?

As I stated in the topic, the brown tipped hose without a cap in the pic is what I'm referring too. It had a small vacuum cap on it that was very brittle and breaking so I removed it to put a new one on. Upon removing it, brownish fluid came out, not a whole lot but enough to concern me as I thought this was a vacuum line. I believe it was coolant from the smell and feel of the liquid, but I have no idea how it got there if it is in fact a vacuum line.

Does someone know what it is for sure or if that's a bad issue?
I've only had this car for a few months and the entire engine bay is confusing to me, the guy before me removed a ton of stuff and deleted a lot of emissions stuff. I'm used to a nice simple 4.0 straight six motor from my cherokee lol, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Hose with Coolant?-20140403_150951.jpeg  
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is your PCV check valve. You want to use it. You have 2 choices, get some fuel line hose and reconnect it to the intake manifold. #2 get a catch can set up and replumb the PCV system so you don't get oil in the intake manifold.

#2 would be the best thing to do.

Are you sure its coolant or is it oil coming from the PCV ? It should be oil as it is the vent for crankcase pressure.

Last edited by conan; 04-03-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to guess the previous owner had a catch can (among other mods) but demodded it before selling it. The small hose that runs from the PCV valve to the intake manifold dries out, so the guy probably grabbed some caps rather than fix it. I'd just put a small piece of fuel or coolant hose there for now. You can then research to see if you want a catch can setup or '04 LS6 PCV setup.

I'd also ensure the entire PCV system is there. This can be verified by checking out the routing sticker on the driver side strut tower.

FYI, like mentioned above, that liquid that came out is oil.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Don't drive without the PCV valve system hooked up, its a main cause for blowing out seals and some of them like the rear main are pretty pricey to have a shop replace. The PCV valve itself is about 5.00 and a small piece of hose is a couple bucks. Make sure you get it hooked back up or your driveway will be an oil slick...
Old 04-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Hook it to the hose just to the right of it in the picture that appears to be capped too. Just get a small piece of 1/2" (if I remember correctly) x 6" long fuel hose. Take the capped hose off (the one to the right) replace it w new hose. Replace the PVC valve w new PVC valve (silver metal thing w brown tip). and hook new hose to PCV valve. You should be good to go.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 PM

I've been driving like this for months now. I even had a mechanic look at it, which he pointed out that the cap was cracking and old, so I replaced it with a new rubber cap. Why would I need to replace the PVC valve? Why not just put hose in and connect the 2 valves? Will this have caused serious damage having been like this for so long now?

Edit** so it looks like all of the pcv system is there according to the diagram
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Hose with Coolant?-20140323_090900.jpeg  

Last edited by Eagle564; 04-09-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's really not coolant but sludgey stuff from moisture and crankcase gasses. I agree with the others you need to have your PCV valve connected by a hose to the port on the intake - preferably with a catch can inline. I would replace the PCV valve with a new one for sure.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It's really not coolant but sludgey stuff from moisture and crankcase gasses. I agree with the others you need to have your PCV valve connected by a hose to the port on the intake - preferably with a catch can inline. I would replace the PCV valve with a new one for sure.
Ok I understand you guys are telling me it needs to be connected, but it has obviously been this way for quite a long time. Is there no reason at all that a person would keep them disconnected? I just don't want to connect the lines and then have problems and break something because he set it up this way or something stupid, while just leaving them disconnected wouldn't hurt anything. I mean I've put 1300 miles on it now the way it is, and they have not been gentle miles.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Pontiacerator

The only logical reason for having it capped off is if he has an alternate system for the crankcase to vent - a vented oil filler cap, for example.

Just because you haven't had problems yet doesn't mean you won't have them in the future. The PCV system uses manifold vacuum to suck crankcase pressure into the combustion process. If it is capped off, how is the crankcase pressure relieved?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The only logical reason for having it capped off is if he has an alternate system for the crankcase to vent - a vented oil filler cap, for example.

Just because you haven't had problems yet doesn't mean you won't have them in the future. The PCV system uses manifold vacuum to suck crankcase pressure into the combustion process. If it is capped off, how is the crankcase pressure relieved?
Well I'm not sure on the oil filler cap, the thing doesn't even seem to come off...

The first two pictures show a little metal square piece welded on to the block, it is connected to the valve there by what appears to be a big ground wire. The little metal square also has a small metal hose that goes under the intake, where theres another little metal square if I remember correctly, and then these route into a coolant hose which then goes directly into the coolant reservoir. What are these little things?

And I do not think it is oil that comes out of that pcv end. It is clear, and occasionally greenish tint. Smells like coolant. No oil like qualities to it at all.

The third picture is of a little valve I guess that comes off the top of the valve cover and connects to nothing. Theres a hose down there also that isn't connected to anything and I would guess it originally connected to this valve/hose. What is this thing then?

The guy that had this removed so much emissions crap and changed stuff around I cannot find a single thing where it's supposed to be. Even the damn oil cap just stops spinning and won't come off.

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Hose with Coolant?-20140411_131820.jpg   Vacuum Hose with Coolant?-20140411_131843.jpg   Vacuum Hose with Coolant?-20140411_132211.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Eagle564
Well I'm not sure on the oil filler cap, the thing doesn't even seem to come off...
The filler cap can be a real bear to get off when it's sludged up; with your PCV system inop this is not a surprise.

The first two pictures show a little metal square piece welded on to the block, it is connected to the valve there by what appears to be a big ground wire. The little metal square also has a small metal hose that goes under the intake, where theres another little metal square if I remember correctly, and then these route into a coolant hose which then goes directly into the coolant reservoir. What are these little things?
Those are steam tubes. There purpose is to bleed off hot coolant from the heads.

And I do not think it is oil that comes out of that pcv end. It is clear, and occasionally greenish tint. Smells like coolant. No oil like qualities to it at all.
Looking at the pics you can see how sludge from the open PCV valve has spewed out on to the head and water pump housing.

The third picture is of a little valve I guess that comes off the top of the valve cover and connects to nothing. Theres a hose down there also that isn't connected to anything and I would guess it originally connected to this valve/hose. What is this thing then?
That's the fresh air feed hose. It should be hooked up to a port on the throttle body.

The guy that had this removed so much emissions crap and changed stuff around I cannot find a single thing where it's supposed to be. Even the damn oil cap just stops spinning and won't come off. Thanks for any help
The dude just disabled the PCV system. There is no way for your crankcase to breathe - or, in other words, to evacuate gaseous combustion by-products. So crankcase pressure can't be relieved.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Launching!

You WILL blow the rear main seal and probably the front seal too if the PCV valve system is left that way.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Hose with Coolant?