Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you define "rice"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you define "rice"?

Please tell me how to define rice so that I will not appear to be ignorant when I talk $hit about these stupid looking wind-up toys.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

well some rice mobiles are actually fast, albeit ghey looking. most are slow. Thats the key point.

Anyways i went to dynolab's once to get some nitrous, there was a t3/t4e late model prelude, put down like 200whp and i was like hmm don't those motors make like 175whp+ stock? "yeah this guy is doing the turbo for show points, not really performance". "interesting use of 1 3/4" tubing with a t3/t4e, purty though".

The car was just dyno'ing, arthur (of dynolabs) gotta make his $$$ regardless so aint his fault.

if it looks fast(aftermarket looks), but isn't, that would be rice. Kinda like point Z06 rims, SS hood, and spoiler on a factory 2.73 A4 Z28 that would run 14's on a good day. American rice does exist

now if someone took a 17second honda and made it a 13 second car, and still had some rice parts on it, you gotta give them some leeway, sure it aint fast but a 4 second gain takes some effort. And a 13 second rice mobile will still outrun alot of z28's at the local tracks here sadly.

your call man, i wouldn't worry bout it. doesn't really do any good to cut on them, because you'll never change their mind. Give them a ride in your beast, convert them to GO not SHOW, that imo is the way to go about it.

Here's some saturday morning entertainment. http://riceornot.ricecop.com/
Old 05-15-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I call rice, either foreign or domestic, often. I say it is "looks fast, runs slow, but looks fast at all costs". Case in point-any 15 second car that has 12-second looks to it (ie fake cage, big wheels, tires, spoilers, etc.).
ANYONE using sponsor stickers for parts that they don't actually own-THAT is the worst!!!
Sorry to say it, but loud exhaust on an otherwise stock car-that sucks. Could be a fart pipe on a 16 second Honda, or a LM on an otherwise stock LS/LT1 that sounds fast, but is really in the 14.s.
Then again, I like sleepers. Cars that run mid/low 12.s or better that look/sound like their 14/13 sec. brethern.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rice defined =

http://ricecop.com/viewpic.php?pictu...sam_racing.jpg
Old 05-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

oh my. civketr. eats some ricey civics with that wing.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:40 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Rice = modifications to a car that make it appear faster that it is. Said modification may not make the car any faster, and might actually make it slower.

Origins - a play on the word "RACER", combined with the fact that most of the cars doing these race inspiried modifications were first seen in Southern California by its asian population.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

It all started because of that damned Fast & Furious. Sure, one out of about a hundred are actually pretty quick. But there are othere that have the body kits and coffee-can exhaust that are so slow my 03 4x4 Dodge Dually with 35x12.50's and a 6" lift can walk off and leave them. I've done it numerous times. That my friends lets them know that they are slow. Some of them deserve a little credit because they are spending their money on a car that they can afford, not all teens and young people can afford T/A's and SS camaro's. But they're trying to make their car perform a little better and look better, even though their opinion on what looks good and what we deem looks good can be two entirely different things. The ricer thing is starting to slow down around here a little. Thank God. But if that's what they want to do, and they think their Honda is something special, all it takes is a little throttle to let them know they're still slow.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here are some sites:
http://www.riceboypage.com
http://www.beaterz.com
http://www.anti-rice.com/
http://www.geocities.com/mmmport_tuner/
http://www.ricecop.com/
http://www.ecubed.com/bmw/CrapBMWDelSol/
http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...combatkit.html

Those should give you an idea.

Originally Posted by Patrolman808
It all started because of that damned Fast & Furious.
That movie is a result of the "rice", not the cause.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-15-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

man a ricer is somebody who thinks they have a fast car, but it aint. they are the ones drivin around revvin there engines at you at a stop light. the main just cause somebody put a body kit on a car doesnt mean that they are a ricer. the main thing to me that screams ricer are the wings! when they put that park bench on there and they are like " man it really helps the downforce of my integra"!
Old 05-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
Rice = modifications to a car that make it appear faster that it is. Said modification may not make the car any faster, and might actually make it slower.

Origins - a play on the word "RACER", combined with the fact that most of the cars doing these race inspiried modifications were first seen in Southern California by its asian population.
Rice burner is a term that is decades old which is where the term ricer is derived.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:53 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Ricer is a play on the word racer.

They do thinks to look like racers while driving rice burners.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Launching!

what about these people that go and buy body kits... then never get them painted, or if they do that is planned 2 months down the road? haha...if I get a body panel/kit the thing will be painted before it gets on my car..LMAO!
Old 05-15-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChillnV
what about these people that go and buy body kits... then never get them painted, or if they do that is planned 2 months down the road? haha...if I get a body panel/kit the thing will be painted before it gets on my car..LMAO!
My favorite is the ricer with the steely front wheels and the aftermarket rears Is that a payment plan? Are those P195/60/14 racing slicks?

Of course I don't know **** about ricers - just ask locosteelersfan and mako22, they're the experts...
Old 05-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

in my opinion rice isn't necessarily putting on aftermarket body part or a few performance parts on a car. my teens...such as myself a few years back....can't afford a car as nice as a t/a or ss, so why not make what you have look better. i've seen some really nice looking cars many would consider rice. and yeah, the body kits, big exhaust tips, etc. can be a little overboard at times, but if everything is tied in nice and looks appropriate then i wouldn't consider that rice. also, i would say rice would be have to include the driver. even if a car is almost completely stock, or totally done up, and the driver is cool, drives right, and doesn't act like an *** then i wouldn't consider that rice, maybe bad taste at times. if the person drives like a bat out of hell, attempts to race anything and everything, and does the elusive "ricer flyby" then yeah, that would be rice.

that's just my 2 cents, everyone's opinion about what is rice is their own, so call it what you want.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChillnV
Dont forget they put underconstruction sticker on them. They have tons around here all primered that have been "under construction" for years now.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rice to me is pruely cosmetic .
A STI or EVO is rice as hell simply cause of the ridiculus wings and
hood scoops bigger than the hood. I don't care what it runs.
If it has a picnic table on the back and sounds like a weedwacker
then its uncle bens all day.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
Rice to me is pruely cosmetic .
A STI or EVO is rice as hell simply cause of the ridiculus wings and
hood scoops bigger than the hood. I don't care what it runs.
If it has a picnic table on the back and sounds like a weedwacker
then its uncle bens all day.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Banned

Last year at the track I was paired against a 98 civic fart pipe painted green with a carbon fiber hood, he beat my silverado 2500HD but he ran a 15.4 to my 15.99. I did a 2.20 60' time which had me ahead of him but with all thoes mods he was barley capeable of beating a 6000lbs silverado.

Gonna go to the track this summer and the GTO is gonna put some ricers in their place.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
Last year at the track I was paired against a 98 civic fart pipe painted green with a carbon fiber hood, he beat my silverado 2500HD but he ran a 15.4 to my 15.99. I did a 2.20 60' time which had me ahead of him but with all thoes mods he was barley capeable of beating a 6000lbs silverado.
Back about 8-9 years ago - when I first started to see ricers at the track - my wife was lined up against a kid in a semi-ricey Honda. It was a test and tune night and she was in her LT1 Vette. The instant this kid lit his Pre-Stage lights, he ripped off down the track. One of the funniest things I've seen. Even the track announcer was laughing.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Fulton,
You hit the nail on the head with that one.
I got up this morning and have 23 replies to
topic email on various boards-don't remember half of
them.