Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Pontiac Dealer Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Pontiac Dealer Today

well i was driving around looking for places that i may be interested in getting a job. i stop at the local Pontiac to get an application. when i walk in BAM! a phantom black GTO. i was looking under the hood. sat inside wow its very comfortable. didn't like the whole exhaust set up i mean damn if its dual exhaust put tips on each side don't give the car an even more family car look. wonderful black interior. automatic though. i loved it i wouldn't mind driving an A4 or M6 GTO no matter what the car is great. nice job with the car.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
well i was driving around looking for places that i may be interested in getting a job. i stop at the local Pontiac to get an application. when i walk in BAM! a phantom black GTO. i was looking under the hood. sat inside wow its very comfortable. didn't like the whole exhaust set up i mean damn if its dual exhaust put tips on each side don't give the car an even more family car look. wonderful black interior. automatic though. i loved it i wouldn't mind driving an A4 or M6 GTO no matter what the car is great. nice job with the car.
whatttttttttttt okayyyyyyyy?????????
Old 05-17-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

nah seriously man i love the GTO the look they could have done a better job but i love the interior. but i wouldn't mind trading my WS6 for a GTO. its all good.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I think they are nice also but I have heard that a Mach 1 is faster than a GTO. I think I would rather keep my Z28 keep your WS6.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw a couple at a show down here. They had custom 2tone interior. Loved the inside, but still not warm to the outside.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

nah i am keeping my WS6 i am saying if i out of the blue for what ever reason wanted to get another car i would love a GTO. i don't think they are as bad as people make it seem. but whatever everyones opinion is different.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the GTO's too. i like the sleeper look they have. imagine pulling up to a rustang gt at a stoplight, or even an f body. throw em a rev, wait for green, and be gone before they realize what happened. and besides, wasnt the tempest a family sedan when they turned it into the GTO?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
I think they are nice also but I have heard that a Mach 1 is faster than a GTO. I think I would rather keep my Z28 keep your WS6.
LMAO!!! My friend at work drives a Mach I, and he brought in that Mustang mag claiming that the Mach I DOMINATED the new Goat. I would put this article very high on your req'd reading list. The GTO they were testing against had a problem w/ it's traction control switch ($5 mistake), so they couldn't turn it off. So the Mach I was winning. Then they pulled the fuse on the Goat, and low and behold...... GM comes through w/ another shiny victory! Then they took the cars to the slolum (sp??) track, and the GTO burned Ford by over 2 seconds. So in summary, the GTO is faster AND more nimble, and the cover of the mag claimed the Mach I DOMINATED GM's new GTO. I've gotta hoist the BS flag on this one.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Banned

Mach1 and GTO are toe to toe and thoes guys know they arn't gonna pull off an easy win. They can show whatever magazine article but between the two cars the better driver is gonna win. And yeah the goat is the underdog but my car isn't based on a 1982 fox body mustang either If sheer speed is what determines a car i'd take a Omni GLH gut it down to steering wheel and drivers seat and slap on a turbo. Cobra mustang my

The GTO has class refinement and power to go along with it. I wanted a practicle everyday performance car under 30k not a sports car.

The -TRUE- dual exhaust on the goat sounds unbelivable for stock, and I wouldn't consider modifying it beyond some LT headers.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:10 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
I saw a couple at a show down here. They had custom 2tone interior. Loved the inside, but still not warm to the outside.

What color was the interior you saw? GTO's come with the option of two tone interior, with exception of one color, I forget which one (maybe silver). My friends have a phantom black with red/black interior. Looks awesome!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
i like the GTO's too. i like the sleeper look they have. imagine pulling up to a rustang gt at a stoplight, or even an f body. throw em a rev, wait for green, and be gone before they realize what happened. and besides, wasnt the tempest a family sedan when they turned it into the GTO?
The Tempest was the platform used. It was a grannies car. The GTO was not. It was like the Nova at first, then Delorean pumped it up.

As to the Mustang. I am surprised you do not have others chiming in. the newer mustangs would be hard to beat stock or unable to beat stock for stock with a GTO.

Besides, I cannot stomach the Tempest comparison. It is a Holden Monaro. The Holden has been in Australia for 30 years. The GTO badge is not appropriate.

Anyhow, I am not a big GTO fan as you can tell.

But, did you get a job at the Pontiac dealership? After all isn't that what started this thread?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=ActionJack] It is a Holden Monaro. The Holden has been in Australia for 30 years. The GTO badge is not appropriate.[QUOTE]

Actually Holden Ltd. has been producing vehicles since 1947. In little unknown fact these two cars do share history. Back in 1970 Holden created what was the most popular australian car ever the HQ holden, Pontiac engineers after creating the 1968 GTO were on assignment in australia and put in styling cues from the GTO. The HQ holden with its monaro versions progressed into what we have today. Now we have Australian engineers designing a sports sedan for america. So really if we had missed the fuel crisis and issurance flaws of the 70s the GTO probley would have turned into what it is today. Not to say GTO name isn't really fitting it was stolen anyway from Ferrari.

I realise what Lutz is trying to do for pontiac but Chevrolet and Holden are kind of universally connected and really the car should have been called the Chevrolet Lumina SS. I could care less what its called, to me its how a car should be.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went to the track recently... The GTO was pulling high 14's low 15's, not sure about trap speed. But after about 15 runs or so, he started to smoke Then he left after that. POS
Old 05-18-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Anyhow, I am not a big GTO fan as you can tell.
ActionJack - I don't think I've heard your opinion on this one yet - pretend the car was imported and sold as the Holden Monaro or the Pontiac Tempest - what is your honest opinion of the car?
Remember, it's intention is to be an honest 4-seat car that has respectable performance, but a 6' plus adult can ride comfortably in the back.

And as far as the poor performance numbers are - reference the recent thread on the heads / cammed race Camaro that was reduced to 3000 lbs. race weight and was turning 12's w/ help from GM. It's all a learning curve. The GTO has turned 13.1's bone stock (with lower times alleged but not backed up) and has all the potential of any other LS1 - maybe more considering that's at 3700+ lbs curb weight.
Dan
Old 05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Keenov
When I went to the track recently... The GTO was pulling high 14's low 15's, not sure about trap speed. But after about 15 runs or so, he started to smoke Then he left after that. POS
And, of course, this guy is so reliable, it must be true!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

13.1's bone stock? I'd have to see it. The guy had to have had tires or some serioius weight reduction. Not calling b.s., just hard to believe. It's got the same engine setup as the 2002 F-bods but is heavier???
Old 05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP:
Guys -

We ran a best of 13.14 @ 106.97 at Etown

Car:
2004 GTO
Bone stock - M6
3870 # with driver

Wheel hop is terrible....working on that
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=2&pp=20

And heck - wouldn't they be better off setting the benchmark slower so they can claim bigger gains with their products?
Dan
Old 05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
ActionJack - I don't think I've heard your opinion on this one yet - pretend the car was imported and sold as the Holden Monaro or the Pontiac Tempest - what is your honest opinion of the car?
Remember, it's intention is to be an honest 4-seat car that has respectable performance, but a 6' plus adult can ride comfortably in the back.

And as far as the poor performance numbers are - reference the recent thread on the heads / cammed race Camaro that was reduced to 3000 lbs. race weight and was turning 12's w/ help from GM. It's all a learning curve. The GTO has turned 13.1's bone stock (with lower times alleged but not backed up) and has all the potential of any other LS1 - maybe more considering that's at 3700+ lbs curb weight.
Dan
My opinion: It has inserted the LS1 nicely and is very accessible. Plenty of room for S/C and comes with tower brace. These are pluses. The interior is very nicely styled and although the back is not roomy the interior does hold 2 comfortably and 4 semi comfortably. The exterior is conservative. All in all, it is a nice platform for a conservative person that wants to have power readily available. It's styling is similiar to European design to some degree with corners and shapes similar to the Cavalier (in rear) and Grand Prix (in front).

If we were discussing the Holden Monaro, I would say the same except that the exterior is it's own design and can be compared in styling more closely to the Eurpoean design previously mentioned (European meaning: BMW 3 series or Audi 4 series). However, if it were to try and compete with these European brands it would have allot of work in drivetrain and engine. The Audi has an all aluminum engine that has a rev limit of 7200 and is pushing allot of HP. The Audi also has the AWD with each wheel independently adjusted. Granted an S4 sells for just under 50k.

With all given, I am most happy with my WS6 with it's aggressive styling and demeanor. It fits my personality. IF the GTO if redesigned on the Zeta platform with a wider stance and more aggressive appearance with stats that put the Stangs 'in their place' and still offering some of the refinements in the interior design and engine compartment, I see it as finding a broad range of customers to win over.

As it stands now (disregarding badging and exterior design). It has muscle and is conservative. It has a higher stance that helps to create some added room (or illusion) of more interior room. This car can hold it's own to most 30k cars. I do not dislike the car I just have different tastes in exterior designs and feel that GM (or Lutz) presented this vehicle to the USA in a rather underhanded way.

Dan, I know you love your GTO and I am not trying to take that away. These are my opinions only. And, my opinions are not based on actually driving one. Unfortuantly the last time I was at the dealership the salesman was an ***.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
SLP:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=2&pp=20

And heck - wouldn't they be better off setting the benchmark slower so they can claim bigger gains with their products?
Dan
Unless you know someone personally taking their new GTO to the track still stock there is only other published articles where it has been taken. Motortrend ran the 2004 GTO and they got 0 to 60 in a respectible 5.3 seconds and the 1/4 mile in a still respectable 13.6 seconds.

link to article
Old 05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dan, I know you love your GTO and I am not trying to take that away. These are my opinions only. And, my opinions are not based on actually driving one. Unfortuantly the last time I was at the dealership the salesman was an ***.
Don't salespeople suck!

Don't take my responses the wrong way - I'm not trying to pick a fight at all. I know that the name is a big sticking point on the car - as well as the 'less than aggressive' styling. I certainly understand that every car isn't for every person. It sounds like we just both know exactly what we like and want - and they are completely different. Just keep in mind - if I thought you were some mindless troll I wouldn't bother trying to hold a conversation, I'd just ignore you.
As far as winning customers over - that's the biggest problem with the GTO. There is no existing market segment / competition for it. It doesn't fit the stated Pontiac 'target' (BMW and Audi) due to the V8 vette motor, loud exhaust and lack of gimmicky gadgets. It doesn't fit the f-body replacement because of cost, size and interior (let's face it - an f-body has a rear seat because insurance companies charge more for 2 seaters). Add ridiculous dealer markups and a lack of advertising leading to general misknowledge by the potential buyers, and you are looking at a potential sales disaster for a decent car. I just try and do my bit to let people know how nice it is without trying to be too overbearing - I hope I don't come over that way and sorry if I do.
Dan