New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid leak - please help

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak - please help

I've got a slow power steering leak that looks like it's coming from the area circled in the pictures. By slow, I mean it only needs to be topped off once every few months. Is this something a noob like myself should be able to fix, or would I be better off taking it into a shop?

If it's an easy enough fix, could someone please explain the process to me? A link to step-by-step directions would be equally appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Are you sure that is where the leak is coming from if so it should be pretty straight forward by just tracking the line and replacing it not to much of a step by step. I had the same problem I thought my leak was coming from a line when it was actually my rack and pinion which was a much harder fix.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Goodkat
Are you sure that is where the leak is coming from if so it should be pretty straight forward by just tracking the line and replacing it not to much of a step by step. I had the same problem I thought my leak was coming from a line when it was actually my rack and pinion which was a much harder fix.
Yeah I'm pretty sure, you can't tell in the picture but the area where those two lines connect looks wet, and there's a stain on the ground right below it. Once I get a chance to get underneath the car I'll know for sure. If that is the culprit and I just need to replace the line, how do I keep the fluid from spilling out when I disconnect it? When I said noob, I meant it
Old 06-14-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep it's the High Pressure hose. I had the same problem. Swap out the hose and you're set.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ring-leak.html
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

To be honest with you it couldn't hurt to just let the fluid drain and then just refill it probably be the fastest and easiest way to go about and the fluid is cheap enough not to hurt the wallet.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Goodkat
To be honest with you it couldn't hurt to just let the fluid drain and then just refill it probably be the fastest and easiest way to go about and the fluid is cheap enough not to hurt the wallet.
Good point, I'll just do that. Like I said it's a super slow leak... I guess that's the reason I'd forgotten how cheap the stuff is!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

If you're a noob, or just someone who is not very mechanically inclined to work on cars like I am, it might be a good idea to take it to a shop and let them replace the hoses for you. You can save money by buying the parts yourself and then just paying a shop for the labor.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nathan C
If you're a noob, or just someone who is not very mechanically inclined to work on cars like I am, it might be a good idea to take it to a shop and let them replace the hoses for you. You can save money by buying the parts yourself and then just paying a shop for the labor.
We all started as a noob at one point. Doing the minor wrenching on the car really gets you to understand future problems.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This job is just about as straightforward as it gets. Unbolt the hose from both sides and bolt a new one back in. 30 min job if you have never seen a wrench before.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
This job is just about as straightforward as it gets. Unbolt the hose from both sides and bolt a new one back in. 30 min job if you have never seen a wrench before.
That sounds like something I can handle. I have seen a wrench before, but that was just working as a mechanic on a nuclear reactor. Cars are much more intimidating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering fluid leak - please help