Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 SS: cam or long tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 SS: cam or long tubes?

I have a 2001 SS with a corsa cat back. The exhaust as-is is fairly loud at anything above 2000rpm.

I'm trying to make this a cruiser, but I would love to squeeze a few more HP out of it.

I've heard the manifolds on the 2001-2002 aren't too bad: so would running a cam with the stock manifold be a terrible idea? Where am I going to get more power (cam or headers).

Obviously I know long tubes and a cam are ideal... But I'd like to keep the neighbors happy, and I think both might be a bit obnoxious.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your state has REALLY strict emissions, pretty sure this only applies to Cali, you might as well get long tube headers. Long tubes help out a lot on a stock motor let alone a cammed one. Can you make a car run fast on stock manifolds? Yes. But it'll be much easier with long tubes.

You could probably sell your Corsa and use the money to buy a Magnaflow catback which is really quiet and flows great.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

I'm in MA, which I believe adopted most of California's emissions laws. Although, the inspectors tend to be a little more lenient (in terms of not actively searching out modifications).

I'd rather keep the Corsa... I'm not sure why, but I'm partial to it (maybe it's the tips?).

I know my cousin has a chambered (I'm guessing GMMG) exhaust, Kooks w/ ORY, cam and heads, and his is loud, but not obnoxiously...

I might be able to do it all, but I feel doing it step-wise would be better, so that I don't get too loud all at once. But, I don't know where to start (in case I get stuck)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are plenty of ways to quiet down your exhaust if its too loud. Definitely go with headers first. Headers are way easier to do and would probably give you better gains than a cam without headers. Im just not a fan of doing things "out of order" on these cars, especially when it comes to putting a cam in. Same thing with putting in a bigger cam before/without a higher stall converter for the A4 cars. You're leaving a lot on the table and will probably be disappointed after all your hard work and $$$
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Makes sense. I guess ordering cats vs ORY will help with noise too...
Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Cats will help tame it some. As long as you don't rev the crap out of it at strange hours, tell the neighbors to stick it. I have cam/LT/Duals, and nieghbors with small children. I have come home late. I just take it easy coming down the street, and no one has said a word.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in MA, which I believe adopted most of California's emissions laws.
Idk who you've been talking to, but that is absolutely not the case. MA emission laws are nowhere near as stringent as those in California. Heck, all they do here is plug into the OBDII port and check for codes. As long as those are clear you pass.

I know plenty of people who have passed here with LTs, no cats and a cam. That is because they don't check anything else but the computer like I said before, so if you have the right tune you can get away with almost anything. You ain't passing in California with such modifications.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redtan
Idk who you've been talking to, but that is absolutely not the case. MA emission laws are nowhere near as stringent as those in California. Heck, all they do here is plug into the OBDII port and check for codes. As long as those are clear you pass.

I know plenty of people who have passed here with LTs, no cats and a cam. That is because they don't check anything else but the computer like I said before, so if you have the right tune you can get away with almost anything. You ain't passing in California with such modifications.
I believe in terms of tolerances, MA uses CA rules, but they don't need to pick the car over with a fine tooth comb as they seemingly do in CA.

I could be mistaken, but a few years back, most cars on MA lots had the "CA emissions" option box checked on the sticker. And I know certain cars that could be sold in other states couldn't be sold here or in CA due to the emissions standards they set (toyota supra turbo, older jeep Cherokee diesels).

I could be way off though, and it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
There are plenty of ways to quiet down your exhaust if its too loud. Definitely go with headers first. Headers are way easier to do and would probably give you better gains than a cam without headers. Im just not a fan of doing things "out of order" on these cars, especially when it comes to putting a cam in. Same thing with putting in a bigger cam before/without a higher stall converter for the A4 cars. You're leaving a lot on the table and will probably be disappointed after all your hard work and $$$
Headers made my car quite a bit louder, actually.
And yes, a cam needs headers to reach its full potential.
And definitely a stall should be one of the first mod's made to an auto car.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

M6 here. So no worries there
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can't do LTs, I wouldn't do a cam.

At that point, gears would be your best bet. In fact you will get more of a seat of the pants kick with those than with the cam or LTs.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to say what ^^^^^ he said, if you're not planning on doing a cam, heads or some head work, exhaust and intake, getting a set of gears will put a bigger smile on your face than just a cam or just headers, I let my friend who has a mildly modded camaro drive my 240sx, that has 4.08 gears, when it had a bone stock LS1 and I couldn't get him out the car, and if youre worried at 80mph its only at ~3700 rpm, and no inspection place going to check your gears
Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

First off, if you're in a **** state, move.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'd definitely do longtubes. Cats are up to you. The smell isn't HORRIBLE, but it's there.

Props on the Corsa. Have 2 myself on both vehicles (Escalade and Vette) and the guarantee of no drone is nice. If you do decide that it's too loud, throw a Magnapack or power stick in the I pipe and that will help.

LT choice is yours and dependent on budget. I've ran TSP and loved them. ARH in my opinion is the best out there...

Cam wise, again, your choice. What are you looking for? Power goal? ET goal? Sound goal?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I go with a set of nice 1-7/8" headers with a catted Y-pipe, or for little less money you can just add a small bullet muffler to the I-pipe later if you decide to go with a ORY-pipe and it ends up being to loud. I'd do this first before changing the cam.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-23-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As an aside, you can always go LS7 manifolds with a custom Y if need be...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 1st mod was LTs. Great mod for the money, nice gain & sounds better. BBKs 1 3/4 LTs w/ ORY was one of the best fitting budget headers when I installed them in 2008. Now theres sooo many choices of budget LTs in stainless steel for less money. Hands down a cam is gonna make more power & but having both work together great.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car passed with both. Its pretty close to open headers.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up magnaflow

i recently bought 2001 z28 installed magnaflow muffler in rear i have obx long tubes, cam and headers it is very tame sounding with the mgnaflow over the slp crap it had...hope this helps
Old 07-03-2014, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

my bolt on a4 car has kooks lt's/ory/magnaflow catback and it sounds excellent not loud no drone just nice.

Another bolt on a4 car I sold last fall had pacesetter lt's /ory/gmmg and it sounded like crap , droning blatting POS sound until wot then it was all good so yes to the guy above leaning you towards magnaflow you will like the sound and its all stainless with great looking polished slash cut tips , the gmmg car did have 273's though so I don't know if that had any effect on the exhaust note as better gears would have possibly put it higher in the rpm's past the drone/blat and not "lugged" the car as much.

The gmmg was worse in every way than my true duals dumped at the axle on my m6 car which just sounds good in all ways but I get to choose the gear its in and rpm at all times
Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Long tubes, catted Y-pipe, and weld a Magnapack or Borla XR1 "bullet" muffler before the axle (where SLP puts their resonator/muffler in the Loudmouth & Loudmouth II catback)

Quick Reply: 2001 SS: cam or long tubes?