Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine/Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New Engine/Tranny

Alright, so I have an 02 Z28 with about 150k on it, and since high-mileage cars make me nervous, I'm looking into replacing the engine and trans someday in the (hopefully) near future.

Since I'm going to be doing this, instead of just buying a used motor with less miles, I figured it's a prime opportunity to up the power of my car. So I have a couple of questions.

And I feel I should mention, I don't plan to take this car to the track and I'm still on the fence about running boost, though I'm leaning a bit towards no, since this car is my DD and I don't see myself running the rpms high enough to really put a turbo to work (at least, not often enough to make it worth the 5k)

Anyway, I was thinking upping the displacement to 383. Is it cheaper to just purchase a shortblock (or longblock) instead of taking the engine apart, having it machined, and then buying a kit?

If I do just buy one off of eBay or another website, do I need to purchase an LS1 block? Or does the rest of the LS family fit the same? If I do purchase a non-LS1 block, am I looking at extensive modifications, or just a few things here and there?

If I end up getting a short block, I'm assuming stock heads will be rather limiting, so an aftermarket set of heads will be required as well. I've never bought an aftermarket set of heads, nor have I ever really looked at them, so what should I really look for? Like, if I get larger intake ports how will that affect power/torque, etc?

Now, for the tranny. I have the 6 speed, and aside from an intermittent clunk when I shift into 4th and 5th, she seems fine. How well does the T-56 hold up as it gets higher in miles? Worth replacing since I'll be increasing the power?

Lastly, assuming I already have the new engine assembled by the time I pull the old engine/tranny out of the car, how long of a job do you think it would take two people (one who used to be a mechanic, and the other with intermediate mechanical experience) to do?\

Are there any major modifications I'd need to do that I missed? I know without knowing exactly what I'm getting it's hard to say, but I think I hit all the big things.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything majorly wrong with the motor? Replacing the motor at 150k miles seems like a strange decision to me, especially since a properly maintained LS can run for 250,000 miles easy. I was at an autocross not too long back where a stock C5 Z06 was dominating it's class, and it had just under 300k miles on the original motor.

Similarly, the T56 is a pretty strong trans and should easily last that long, though it might need service to address that thunk when shifting.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mRahmani
Is there anything majorly wrong with the motor? Replacing the motor at 150k miles seems like a strange decision to me, especially since a properly maintained LS can run for 250,000 miles easy. I was at an autocross not too long back where a stock C5 Z06 was dominating it's class, and it had just under 300k miles on the original motor.

Similarly, the T56 is a pretty strong trans and should easily last that long, though it might need service to address that thunk when shifting.
Nothing major. I've only had the car for about 2 months, (and sadly, no service history) and when I did a tune-up, I noticed a lot of sludge and this white substance that was the consistency of pudding. At first I thought I had a head gasket that was about to go, but it doesn't look like coolant, just moisture getting into the oil somehow. Those two just seemed indicative of a lack of proper maintenance, which just has me a little worried. That, and the amount of piston slap she has on start-up is absolutely ridiculous. >>

My main reason for wanting to do the swap was A. I was told if I was going to do any performance upgrades beyond a couple of bolt-ons, I should rebuild the engine, and B. I wanted to break 450rwhp, and figured a 383 was a good place to start.

Anyway, I'll admit this could very well be a case of me just overreacting about the condition of the engine, and the thought of a brand new one triggering the 'Ooh shiney' reaction.

Quick Reply: New Engine/Tranny