Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from rear wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear wheel wells

I have a noise coming from my rear wheels. Whenever I hit any small bump or just drive on a non smooth surface, there is a noise that sounds like two thin metal plates clanking together. I jacked the rear end up and I can grab my wheel and shake it. It has some play. Not a lot but enough to make noise. After further investigating I noticed the brake rotor is what is loose. The wheel is supposed to sandwich the rotor to the hub. The wheel is tight, but the rotor is secured at the caliper side and loose on the other. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

I do have aftermarket wheels. I put my stock wheel back on and it had the same thing. I also put a spacer on to see if that would help but I got the same result. Wondering if I should just get new rotors and brake kit.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

This might sound silly but... Have you checked your spare tire and made sure that the knut on the bar is tight? I had the same thing a while back, and it was the spare wheel rattling against the retaining plate.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are both sides the same? Rotors aren't side-specific so you could try swapping the rotors around and check for excessive play if you still think that's it.. I would put all rotors and pads back in their original places before driving it though; they develop complimentary wear patterns and I wouldn't monkey with that.

I've had similar sounds made when my coil spring pads/isolators graduated to dust but this was on the "Fox" kind of F body. ��

Sounds like checking the spare and jack and stuff in the trunk is a lot less work though!

One more remote possibility--are your lug nuts possibly just the slightest bit too shallow for the length of your wheel studs causing the nuts to be tight but maybe giving the wheel and everything under it(rotor, etc) just a little more play than desired?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are you sure your exhaust system doesnt have a broken or missing clamp?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Shouldn't the rotors be sandwiched between the wheel and axle super-tight and therefore have no play? Or is there something about F bodies that I am missing?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Yeah the rotors are supposed to be sandwiched in. I even put on a set of open lug nuts to make sure they were tightening all the way. I got the same result. Im going to lift it up and get under the car next weekend. Im out of town for the holiday so I cant do this now. I will check the exhaust brackets, they should be good because the exhaust is less than a year old. Im just going to put hands on every part and see what i can find that may be causing a noise. I still then need to figure out why my wheel wont tighten all the way.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this happen to me a few months ago. Check your heat shield on your fuel tank, the corner of mine was rubbing against the exhaust pipe going over the axel and was driving me absolutely nuts! Just bent it in and it's fixed.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
I had this happen to me a few months ago. Check your heat shield on your fuel tank, the corner of mine was rubbing against the exhaust pipe going over the axel and was driving me absolutely nuts! Just bent it in and it's fixed.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No problem. Hope you find it and get it fixed!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Are these stock rotors or some multi-piece contraption?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Teching In

I have the same rattle, its somewhere on my drivers rear ,ive checked everything cant find it, I only hear it when I launch the car hard

Last edited by JAYSS10; 07-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Are these stock rotors or some multi-piece contraption?
They are stock rotors. I just ordered some new rotor and pads off of ebay last night. So I can put them on next weekend and see how that works out.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Today I took off my brake rotor and caliper. Then I think I found where my noise is coming from. It seems I have some play on my axle end. There is play on the in and out motion. Now Im just not sure how to fix it. I need some advice on what I should do. Here is a youtube link to what I have going on. Hope the link works

If the link doesnt work then you can search in you tube " 2001 trans am axle end play " Its an 8 second clip.

Last edited by Jrod252; 07-12-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

On a Mustang I'd say check the c-clips.. But you should probably pop the cover off and see what is moving around in the rear. Maybe a bearing. I haven't looked in a Chevy rear end in a while but I think you may have found your problem! There is something in there that should hold the axles in and it is a bit loose. Some of the experts here will know exactly what causes this. Is the other side like this?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Teching In

yeah both sides are doing the same thing. rear axle.

Quick Reply: Noise from rear wheel wells