New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't crank along with electrical issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't crank along with electrical issues...

I’m at a loss and hoping those of you with much more LS1 smarts than I do can help out. My car died about two weeks ago and I was hoping it was just the starter. I have a 2000 WS6 (M6) that had an intermittent starter problem. The car always cranked very well, and fired right up strong every time. The problem was the last couple of weeks about 1/3 of the time the starter would not disengage from the flywheel.

Last week I drove it to work, I cranked it up and the starter gear stuck again. I got it to unstick after a little while and drove to work. Later that morning I went to crank it up again and got nothing. No click, clicking, turning over… just nothing. I still have power to everything else like the dash, power windows, headlights etc. So I push-started it and drove it home.

So far to diagnose the problem I have bypassed the VATS under the dash using resistors, bypassed the clutch switch, tested the starter & ignition relays (both good), checked the related fuses under the hood, charged the battery, and finally replaced the starter with a new one.

After I replaced the starter I tried to crank it for the first time, power hit the starter, it engaged for a split second and then everything went dead. Now I have no power at all to anything. No dash, the car doesn't 'ding' with the key in the ignition and the door open... nothing. It's as if there's no battery in the car at all. Even stranger is if I go back to the car after a couple of hours have passed I have power again to the dash, etc. But if I try to crank it again everything goes dead.

This is getting very frustrating to say the least. A buddy mentioned it may still be the VATS and there’s another way to reset/bypass it via the Monsoon system instead of the resistors, but I can’t find anything anywhere about this.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this problem could be?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to ring back a 2+ year old thread.......... But This is EXACTLY what I am experiencing now in my car. I never had any previous starter issues though. How did you end up fixing it?

Quick Reply: Car won't crank along with electrical issues...