Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the LS1..some help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Default new to the LS1..some help please

hello out there. Well, like the title said, I'm new to the LS1 world. I just picked up a 02 Z that has been unmolested, right down to the stock paper air filter, with 10k on it. I'm big into the LT1 world with my wifes 94 Impala SS and have done some extensive mods to it. I'm asking for some help in the mod world for the LS1 and what peoples opinions are on certain parts. I had already done the TB bypass (dumbest idea I ever saw). Looking for a good exhaust, I see the lids are about matched on hp gain, and is the throttle body upgrade worth the $$ on a motor not planning to have h&c ever installed. Tonite the MAF will be getting the die grinder. Is there any other cheap or easy mods I can do? In relation, I have alot of tools to do a wide assortment of work. Anyone's input is welcome

Attached Thumbnails new to the LS1..some help please-clip-picss.jpg   new to the LS1..some help please-clip-pic.jpg  
Old 05-22-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I would not mess with the mass air flow. You should get a Lid, cutout and some Nitto Drag Radial's to start off with. You will feel the difference with those mod's.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Well I would not mess with the mass air flow. You should get a Lid, cutout and some Nitto Drag Radial's to start off with. You will feel the difference with those mod's.

Sounds like a great start. I wouldnt touh the MAF. Leave that alone.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I heard that the rearends in these things aren't very strong. What's the approx hp before I should worry? I wasn't planning on porting the MAF any, just cutting out the diverters. Is that still a bad idea? I know it helped the LT1 alot.
God I love my IMP SS, almost everything is strong in it.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Also, I heard that the rearends in these things aren't very strong. What's the approx hp before I should worry? I wasn't planning on porting the MAF any, just cutting out the diverters. Is that still a bad idea? I know it helped the LT1 alot.
God I love my IMP SS, almost everything is strong in it.
With an M6 and drag radials you could the stock rear stock or with bolt-ons only. Some last longer than others. It's mostly the shock of sticky tiers and dumping clutch out the hole that gets them going boom so easily.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

My rearend has lasted a long time now with my Dr's. I don't dump the clutch over 3000rpm's and my rearend has been ok.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to add that it's an A4 but I was thinking about taking the stall from the wifes car and putting it in the Z. it's a 2400 stall. the only problem for the ET streets is that they are on 2 of the original Impala wheels which are 17's and 5x5 b.p.----bummer!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

don't waste your time with your 2400 stall. i'm not even sure it would fit. go for a 3200 or a 3600. use the search button. most of your questions will be answered that way. and be careful with the MAF, its very touchy. the effects of messing with it can vary greatly from car to car.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
don't waste your time with your 2400 stall. i'm not even sure it would fit. go for a 3200 or a 3600. use the search button. most of your questions will be answered that way. and be careful with the MAF, its very touchy. the effects of messing with it can vary greatly from car to car.
I agree. There is wealth of information just by searching around, dont go smaller than 3200 stall, and for god's sake don't touch the MAF it gives some people fits.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I read this just in time, I was about to put the blade and burr to it and just happened to walk in and check the forum. Thanks to all.
The thing about the stall, is the Imp also has a 4l60e and I know they are the same. I don't want too high of a stall because this car is used to go from Ft. Knox, Ky (Louisville area) to Ft Campbell, Tn every weekend and it's a daily driver with the stock gears that I haven't checked out what ratio they are yet because of my weekend honeydo list...wife, kids and house/yard work. but I'll get around to it sooner or later. Thanks for the info and I am surfing every site I can find but I am a stickler when it comes to the best bang for the buck. That's why I was worried about the rear. I was thinking about transferring the juice from the Imp also just to see how she'll do.

Last edited by SAPPER; 05-22-2004 at 07:50 PM.