Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this intake?

I bought my Firebird about 3 months ago, and it has been an excellent car. But, now I have the horsepower bug and am starting my research for upgrades. I have been researching air boxes, lids, cold air intakes, and ram air to figure out what would be best for what I want out of my car. The problem is I'm not sure what my car currently has. The way my air filter is currently mounted, the engine draws the air down through the top of the filter. If I had thick enough weather stripping (would have to be at least and inch thick) it looks like I could seal the hood to the filter and create a decent ram air intake.

Does anyone have an details on my current set up?
Should I try to seal the air filter to the hood and trim the baffles or get a SSRA intake kit?

(My car and engine are clean now )

Picture of the hood. I would like to keep this hood, I love the look.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like you have an aftermarket Suncoast Creations hood matched with one of their custom ram air boxes. If you Google "Suncoast ram air box" you should find some pics and info.

The boxes are supposed to come with foam that surrounds the opening on the bottom of the hood, but if yours is missing, you can use weather stripping to seal it up and get the same result, or maybe even try calling Suncoast and seeing if you can order the foam?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe VFN did at one time sell a ram-air kit for use with some of the fiberglass Firebird hoods you could contact them and possibly get some answers. I'm not sure who made the kit.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

I'd stick with what you have (unless it damaged) and just get a Moroso Air pan seal kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-97070/overview/.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good eye 02DroptopZ, that look evry much like the Suncoast ram-air box kit!

http://suncoastcreations.com/mm5/mer...shot_offset=10

The air filter should probably be a K & N #33-2035, which is used in a 1990-1995 C4 corvette.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-25-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Thank you both. I'll have to get a hold of Suncoast and see if I can get them to send me the weather stripping.
After quickly looking at their website it looks like I'll have to go with something else if I ever decide to go with a FAST intake manifold.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with above -- I'd just keep that setup (so long as you can get it to seal) as there's nothing which would be better.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahawk
Thank you both. I'll have to get a hold of Suncoast and see if I can get them to send me the weather stripping.
After quickly looking at their website it looks like I'll have to go with something else if I ever decide to go with a FAST intake manifold.
Why would you have to change airboxes with the FAST? previous posts are correct, its a suncoast hood and airbox, I have had mine on the car for over 10 years now and had a FAST 92 installed for the past 5ish years with no fitment issues.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Why would you have to change airboxes with the FAST? previous posts are correct, its a suncoast hood and airbox, I have had mine on the car for over 10 years now and had a FAST 92 installed for the past 5ish years with no fitment issues.
I only had a few minutes this morning to look at this thread and Suncoast's website. I guess i was looking for the equivalent of the fast toys 92mm or 104mm "lid". I'm glad to hear that the FAST 92 works. Are you running a maf with your setup and what did you use for ducting? I'm still learning and i appreciate the information and experience.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think there is some confusion between an intake manifold (like the FAST, BBK, ect.) and a ram air setup (SSRA, chrs1313, FTRA, ect.) and a lid.

Your car no longer has a lid, as it was replaced with the suncoast ram air. If you stick with that setup a bottom breathing ram air kit (SSRA, chrs1313, FTRA, ect.) will do nothing for you.

A FAST intake manifold would provide gains, even more with a cam or ported heads. The manifold mounts directly on the engine.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I think there is some confusion between an intake manifold (like the FAST, BBK, ect.) and a ram air setup (SSRA, chrs1313, FTRA, ect.) and a lid.

Your car no longer has a lid, as it was replaced with the suncoast ram air. If you stick with that setup a bottom breathing ram air kit (SSRA, chrs1313, FTRA, ect.) will do nothing for you.

A FAST intake manifold would provide gains, even more with a cam or ported heads. The manifold mounts directly on the engine.
You might be confused

There are 92mm and 102mm lids which are made to work with the FAST 92/102. I believe the OP was concerned if this air box setup would still work with the FAST manifold or if he needed to go back to a lid setup.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I am aware of the lids you speak of, or at least the 98mm and 104mm ones from Fast Toys. I did get confused by the following post as we went from "air boxes, lids, cold air intakes, and ram air," to FAST manifolds.
Originally Posted by Wahawk
I only had a few minutes this morning to look at this thread and Suncoast's website. I guess i was looking for the equivalent of the fast toys 92mm or 104mm "lid". I'm glad to hear that the FAST 92 works. Are you running a maf with your setup and what did you use for ducting? I'm still learning and i appreciate the information and experience.
I stand by my previous post however, as you would not want to add a bottom breathing ram air kit to his current setup.

Either way, hopefully his questions have been answered.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
You might be confused

There are 92mm and 102mm lids which are made to work with the FAST 92/102. I believe the OP was concerned if this air box setup would still work with the FAST manifold or if he needed to go back to a lid setup.
This was my main concern, besides just finding out what airbox/hood my car currently has on it. I didn't know if was important for the duct leaving the air box to be the same size as the throttle body on a 92/102 FAST manifold. I wasn't sure what the proper term was for my air box, so I used "lid" incorrectly in my earlier post.

Originally Posted by z-camaro
I am aware of the lids you speak of, or at least the 98mm and 104mm ones from Fast Toys. I did get confused by the following post as we went from "air boxes, lids, cold air intakes, and ram air," to FAST manifolds.

I stand by my previous post however, as you would not want to add a bottom breathing ram air kit to his current setup.

Either way, hopefully his questions have been answered.
I apologize for jumping around so much, and I appreciate the fact that you explained the terminology in your earlier post. I now understand how my air box differs from the stock air box and that I no longer have a lid. After I found out what kind of air box and hood my car has I was just trying to determine if it is ideal for future power increases (like upgrading to a FAST intake manifold), or if I would be better off switching back to a stock style air box and a bottom breathing ram air.

I hope I have cleared up any confusion.

Quick Reply: What's this intake?