Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell what's in a Moser 12bolt? Looking to change fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell what's in a Moser 12bolt? Looking to change fluid

I purchased the car with 12bolt Moser already installed.
I didn't know then that people have put different lsd or posi in there. I just though Moser 12 bolt =Moser inside.

Anyways I want to change the fluid since I don't know it's age or condition.
From what I gather I'f it's Eaton =non synthetic required.
1 GM additive
2 quarts gear oil 80w90

So my questions are:
How do I check what I have exactly? What are the common posi that people put in Moser 12bolt?

Lastly is there any posi that requires synthetic specific?
If Dino regular 80w90 with additive is compatible with all I'd rather not open things up and use that oil.

Btw I read that for each quart of oil I need 3oz of additive?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

It's amazing to watch people obsess over gear oil. The stuff is good for 100k miles at least in normal driving. If fact, the average car will never have it changed during its lifetime. I'll grant that these cars see thing that the average car won't...maybe, so it's probably a good idea to change it....once it has 60 or 70k on it.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

There are 100+ page threads on a bunch of different car forums about whether or not one can use a synthetic gear oil in; Eaton Posi/Truetrac/Auburn diffs, and NOTHING is EVER solved by them or shown to be conclusive at all.

YES, IF you want to play it COMPLETELY safe and conservative, you cannot go wrong with the dino 80W-90 (or 80W/85W-140 if it is either noisy, or you live in south Tejas), with ONE bottle (4 oz.) of the limited slip friction modifier (I prefer the Motorcraft XL-3 stinky stuff over the GM/Red Line/Amsoil/CRC/etc.).

I know that Truetrac says NOT to add the friction modifier to it's Torsen type diffs, BUT, the factory Torsen T2s in '99-'02 f bodies is the SAME type of diff as this, and GM sent out a TSB to add the FM to these diffs if they were making the 'rocks in a box' coast down noise, so I cannot see how it would hurt.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
It's amazing to watch people obsess over gear oil. The stuff is good for 100k miles at least in normal driving. If fact, the average car will never have it changed during its lifetime. I'll grant that these cars see thing that the average car won't...maybe, so it's probably a good idea to change it....once it has 60 or 70k on it.
if the car was in prestine condition yes but if its not so good it then i have the need to double check everything. made the mistake on not double checking what previous owners did and it has cost me before.

Ive also read post about running synthetic and people trashing their diff.

Im not in it for best fluid all i want is to ensure that the wrong fluid isnt in there. cheap enough and i would only do it once in a lifetime of this car(in my ownership). and i dont have to worry about it. why not.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
There are 100+ page threads on a bunch of different car forums about whether or not one can use a synthetic gear oil in; Eaton Posi/Truetrac/Auburn diffs, and NOTHING is EVER solved by them or shown to be conclusive at all.

YES, IF you want to play it COMPLETELY safe and conservative, you cannot go wrong with the dino 80W-90 (or 80W/85W-140 if it is either noisy, or you live in south Tejas), with ONE bottle (4 oz.) of the limited slip friction modifier (I prefer the Motorcraft XL-3 stinky stuff over the GM/Red Line/Amsoil/CRC/etc.).

I know that Truetrac says NOT to add the friction modifier to it's Torsen type diffs, BUT, the factory Torsen T2s in '99-'02 f bodies is the SAME type of diff as this, and GM sent out a TSB to add the FM to these diffs if they were making the 'rocks in a box' coast down noise, so I cannot see how it would hurt.
cool

this is what im looking for. dino oil it is with modifyer.

Quick Reply: How to tell what's in a Moser 12bolt? Looking to change fluid