Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Chevrolet El Camino. LS1, 4l60E trans.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Chevrolet El Camino. LS1, 4l60E trans.

Hello! I'm doing an LS1 swap on my 1969 El camino with 4L60E transmission.

I'm wondering what kind of engine and transmission brackets will make the engine and transmission fit?

I've been looking at these brackets: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ens-3-1122g

Will these brackets make the engine AND transmission fit straigth on to my 69 El Camino? Or do i have to weld brackets? Is there any other brackets that will make the engine and trans fit straight on?

And does anyone have any tips for parts for my project? I'm trying to get it done as cheap as possible.

I'm very thankful for answers! Hans
Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those mounts appear to be for either a small block or big block Chevy. To use those you will need adapter plates that will enable you to mount them onto the LS1. Several companies offer the adapter plates including Hooker, Transdapt and Edelbrock. If you look through the stickys at the top of the page or do a search on adapter plates you will find quite a bit of information. Also you can search EBay for LS1 Engine mount plates and you will find quite a few different ones offered.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...lates&_sacat=0
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Those mounts will work, but you need adapter plates also. I used the Dirty dingo double D mounts like these.

http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_354_335

If you are using the F-body LS1 oil pan then you will need to either modify the pan or modify the cross member for the pan to fit. Holley makes an new pan that fits very well in the A body cars. It's part number is 302-2 and will fit like a glove in your chevelle.

There are many things you will run into such as massaging the trans tunnel a bit for clearance and changing your accessory drive setup so it doesn't interfere with your steering box. Check the stickies. I'm sure there are several good build threads in there for you to refer to.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Teching In

I bought these motor mounts : http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...122g/overview/ but now i have a clearence issue.. do i need to use the plates behind the motor and transmission mounts? what are they for? because without them it is a perfect fit! Hans
Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

It depends on the vehicle. I had read alot of people had to leave the plates out to get them to line up. I tried mine with the plates out and they didn't line up with my frame stands so I installed the plates and it lined right up. I'd install them whatever way they line up, it's been done both ways. I used the Dougs SK100 adapter plates with these on mine.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Ok. thanks! so they are just for fitment? i dont understand the purpose with them...

Originally Posted by Hawk465
It depends on the vehicle. I had read alot of people had to leave the plates out to get them to line up. I tried mine with the plates out and they didn't line up with my frame stands so I installed the plates and it lined right up. I'd install them whatever way they line up, it's been done both ways. I used the Dougs SK100 adapter plates with these on mine.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HansElcamino
Ok. thanks! so they are just for fitment? i dont understand the purpose with them...
They are actually preload plates for the mounts. However by using the adapter plates, they serve the same purpose. I would install however it fits best, with or without them and you should be fine.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Teching In

ahhh okei . Thanks man!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Default Some pictures..

Heres the car after putting the body on to the newly painted frame. rebuilt 70's front.

Engine is in. Got my altenator bracket on there too.. moved it up on the side because of clearence issues..

Engine and transmission.. good enough clearence. Got some clearence issues with the back fo the trans and the header on the drivers side..

Clearence issues... thinking about cutting of the corners because it's only a through bolt hole.. opinions ?? <br/>

Thinking about placing the lokar shifter on the floor... it comes with a adapter plate but there is no way there is enough clearence for that.. link for shifter :http://www.lokar.com/downloads/pdf-i...0E-Shifter.pdf

under the car.. painted!!!<br/>
Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Teching In

Any tips where i can get hose fitment for the P/S tubing to the old chevy steering box? and the header has just 1-2mm clearence on the drivers side to the frame... im thinking about vibrations, how much clearence do i need? And what do you guys think about the shifter? should i get by wire instead? because i cant fit the shifter on top of the trans...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Looks like an F-body transmission? Those through bolt aluminum bosses are for the torque arm and can come off. Should give you a lot more room. I'd get a cable shifter from B&M or one of the other shifter companies, it will be easier to mount and hook up.

Lee's has some adapters you can put in your steering box to mate to the metric lines. Do yourself a favor and do the Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering box mod instead. You'll need a new rag joint but the power steering lines will bolt up and it is a huge improvement. Aside from doing the LS swap, that steering box is the best thing I've done to my car.

What headers are you running?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Teching In

F-body trans yes. Cut them of or buy a different housing ? yes i tought that cable would be easier to hook up AFTER i bought the lokar shifter.. haha. I'm going too buy a new steering column.. What do you think about shifter in the column with cable? The steering box is actually a better steering box than the original.. looks about the same as the old steering box but has alot shorter steering length" if you understand? "shorter exchange" like on a newer car. I have hedman husler headers: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...5540/overview/ bolts right up, and does fit. but the clearence worries me because it's only 1-2mm ..

Originally Posted by Hawk465
Looks like an F-body transmission? Those through bolt aluminum bosses are for the torque arm and can come off. Should give you a lot more room. I'd get a cable shifter from B&M or one of the other shifter companies, it will be easier to mount and hook up.
Lee's has some adapters you can put in your steering box to mate to the metric lines. Do yourself a favor and do the Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering box mod instead. You'll need a new rag joint but the power steering lines will bolt up and it is a huge improvement. Aside from doing the LS swap, that steering box is the best thing I've done to my car.

What headers are you running?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Installed lokar brake and gas pedal with wire today.. small job but first thing thats actually working on my project haha.

What are these lines for ??! air bleed? coolant?<br/>

What is this for?

Clearence issues.....<br/>

clearence issues!!! frame and steering... get the engine higher or? <br/>

what is this? been reading, but cant find anything.. <br/>
Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Howdy, Hans.

The last Red Line picture looks like the vacuum line that goes to your power brake booster.

The second Red Line picture looks like part of the evaporative circuit, for emissions. There's the one in your picture, and then there is a canister in the back near the fuel tank (in the original vehicle anyway) that is also part of this circuit. The original computer looks at both. It's just for emissions.

The first Red Line picture looks like vacuum lines that go to you valve cover and the other to the back of the intake manifold or valley cover.

Looking forward to your progress as my son wants a '69 El Camino, and we are going to put an LS in his as well. Lots for me to learn here.
Thanks for posting.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks! i have alot to learn to tough, it's my first project and i'm not really that experienced. haha! I will post everything i do to the car and do a parts list at the end. Please keep up ! and i'm really happy about some help with my problems!

Originally Posted by G8GTx2
Howdy, Hans.

The last Red Line picture looks like the vacuum line that goes to your power brake booster.

The second Red Line picture looks like part of the evaporative circuit, for emissions. There's the one in your picture, and then there is a canister in the back near the fuel tank (in the original vehicle anyway) that is also part of this circuit. The original computer looks at both. It's just for emissions.

The first Red Line picture looks like vacuum lines that go to you valve cover and the other to the back of the intake manifold or valley cover.

Looking forward to your progress as my son wants a '69 El Camino, and we are going to put an LS in his as well. Lots for me to learn here.
Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: 1969 Chevrolet El Camino. LS1, 4l60E trans.