New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying LS Question- How many miles is OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying LS Question- How many miles is OK?

Looking at buying a 2001 Chevy HD truck here local. Supposedly a daily driver. How many miles would you say is too much for an engine just to do a swap.

Truck is 4wd so I am guessing would need a different trans for the swap. I know there is more involved but the guy is asking $2K for the truck.

LS swaps cost $4500 starting here on the West Coast so I figure $2k for a good running engine I can part out the rest of the truck and get most my money back, and do the swap my self.

I own a 2001 Chevy HD truck right now with 176K miles and it runs great, so I figure this would be OK without a rebuild. I know the engine can last up to 300K miles no problem but say the truck has 250 K miles, is it worth buying?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

maybe perform a leak down and a compression check to see how everything is first.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
maybe perform a leak down and a compression check to see how everything is first.
Thanks Ulitmate orange!!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Also Curious, is there a list say if I were to buy the 6.0 L truck motor, is there a list that says everything I need to complete the conversion so I can start stacking the parts?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends heavily on what you are swapping into and if you are going carb or fuel injected(recommend the latter). If retaining fuel injection, I'd suggest looking on eBay for "LQ9 complete dropout" (also try LQ4) and those will include almost everything you need. Not saying you have to buy from there, but those guys pull the motors for swaps and know what the customer wants and usually lists or at least show all of those items. That should get you started. Then you need the swap-specific stuff for the destination vehicle(mostly fuel system, mounting, cooling, gauges, controls).
Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mercier
Depends heavily on what you are swapping into and if you are going carb or fuel injected(recommend the latter). If retaining fuel injection, I'd suggest looking on eBay for "LQ9 complete dropout" (also try LQ4) and those will include almost everything you need. Not saying you have to buy from there, but those guys pull the motors for swaps and know what the customer wants and usually lists or at least show all of those items. That should get you started. Then you need the swap-specific stuff for the destination vehicle(mostly fuel system, mounting, cooling, gauges, controls).

Sorry yes, fuel injected, I just want to drive it so it starts and runs like they do...Its going into a '61 Chevy Nomad Wagon, i have Tubular a-arm setup with bags already, 9 inch rear end built by Currie..Not looking for a show car, just the 6.0L LQ4? Pulley setup, Car intake, f-body oil pan etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well LQ4 is lower compression compared to LQ9 so bone stock less power potential and a little cheaper in the wild usually. That can be fixed with milling of heads though.

Seems like a Nomad might have enough room for the truck intake. At least the later examples(4-bolt throttle body) flow very well compared with the common factory car intakes that have to be smashed down to fit in F-bodies. You'll need to verify clearance with someone that has done it or measure mounts to hood and then measure an assembled LS with truck intake.

If you can fit the truck intake, you can use the truck accessories. A few folks on the forums here have made the car intake work with the truck accessories as well though with a bit of massaging so that is an option for you also.

I am not sure on the pan. I think you may want to post these last few questions in the conversions and hybrids forum where you've got guys putting anything in everything with a lot of knowledge.

Quick Reply: Buying LS Question- How many miles is OK?