Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default more valve train noise

I seem to be getting a tick from the drivers side head. Not terribly loud, but loud enough that I can hear it at times from the cab. I'm thinking it's possibly a lifter issue causing the valve to slap.

Since I may be having to pull the heads soon anyway (see my Condensation thread) I was thinking of pulling the lifters while I was at it. my question is, if my valve noise is due to a lifter, would disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the lifters be a viable fix, or am i looking at a new set of lifters? (and if so, what's a good brand for an un-modded ls1?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "LS7" lifters are the official replacement part for all LS motors and can be had for about $100 for a complete set(16). You could probably clean yours but for $100 and you already have the heads off..I'd do it anyway, especially on a stock-ish motor.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a stupid question but are you absolutely sure that its not a leaking header gasket or any other exhaust leak for that matter? if so it could be numerous different things like a rocker being loose or a clogged push rod. however if you do need to replace your lifters i wouldn't go with the ls7's. there have been alot of horror story's about them failing.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well maybe you can enlighten me on the "horror story" LS7 lifters. I figure since this is the stock lifter in every LS motor GM puts out(I think?!), for a stock motor they should be the most cost-effective option. I assumed that the bad rep comes from folks using big cams and turning high RPM with said LS7 lifters. Stock LS motors routinely go 250K miles with the stock lifters. And keep in mind you don't get folks taking the time to hit the forums to brag about their boring stock lifters going 250K without issue in a boring stock motor. It's the complaints that get voiced and heard...but I'm listening.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Well maybe you can enlighten me on the "horror story" LS7 lifters. I figure since this is the stock lifter in every LS motor GM puts out(I think?!), for a stock motor they should be the most cost-effective option. I assumed that the bad rep comes from folks using big cams and turning high RPM with said LS7 lifters. Stock LS motors routinely go 250K miles with the stock lifters. And keep in mind you don't get folks taking the time to hit the forums to brag about their boring stock lifters going 250K without issue in a boring stock motor. It's the complaints that get voiced and heard...but I'm listening.

Thanks.
+1 For this I have never read or seen a single thing on LS7 lifters failing or any horror stories, for the most part you cant beat the value and reputation.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to pull the heads anyway, by all means, replace the lifters while your at it. The LS7 lifters should be fine for your car. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

If you plan on using a cam with super aggressive lobes; than I would consider upgrading to a more high performance lifter.

Quick Reply: more valve train noise