New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought an 02 ws6 what is this under the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought an 02 ws6 what is this under the car?

hey im new to the ls1 world bought an 02 trans am ws6 with 105,000 on it. i just have a few questions for u guys if u could help me out.
1. what the heck is this (see below) guu said it was a transmission stabilizer or something? all i know is that it moves and i can hear it knocking when i go over bumps

2. how do i know if it has a shift kit in it? it shifts kinda hard from 1st to 2nd. yes i checked the trans fluid while it was running and warmed up.
3. i just want the car to last, not really trying to *** any performance mods or anything.....yet..lol. anyway wat are some things i should be looking out for in a used ls1 and 4l60e trans?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

the picture is the torque arm and looks like it has the chassis mount. both parts are aftermarket and a good upgrade. as far as the clunk when hitting bumps, it could be the arm could be hitting the body or something suspension related.

if the trans has a quick and solid shift then it probably has a shift kit in it.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
the picture is the torque arm and looks like it has the chassis mount. both parts are aftermarket and a good upgrade. as far as the clunk when hitting bumps, it could be the arm could be hitting the body or something suspension related.

if the trans has a quick and solid shift then it probably has a shift kit in it.
ok cool thanks bro. what exactly is the mod called? so i can go research it. i also have been reading about a ticking/clicking noise that i hear on a cold start up. ive been reading that its normal for ls1's, is this true in your opinion? im just trying to learn as much about the car/engine/transmission as i can
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

look up chassis mounted torque arm. looks like you have the shorter version. it gets better 60ft times at the strip but not as good when dailying.

well piston slap is pretty common on ls1s. its not harmful to the motor. just be sure thats what the noise is. ls1s also have a noisey valve train. many say it sounds like a sewing machine. post a video of a cold start up so we can see what the sound is. as long as the oil pressure is good and you change the engine/trans oil and other fluids at the correct intervals, you will be fine. just do alot of reading and research on the motor and trans and educate yourself. there is alot of info
Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_115&produ cts_id=209

This may not be the exact brand, but this is the part that you're looking at. Piston slap on cold startup is fine, as long as that's what it really is. Like he said, post a video so we can listen.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Teching In

If torque arm is moving and knocking then check the rubber bushing that holds torque arm to tranny. I had same issue on my slp torque arm, it would knock hard anytime i hit the gas. Couldn't find the bushing online but i called either jegs or summit ( can't remember which one ) and they were able to get one to me.

Quick Reply: just bought an 02 ws6 what is this under the car?