Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Help

I have a stock 2000 camaro z28 m6. im pretty new to the ls1 world, and i want to start with the smaller stuff that can give me higher numbers without breaking the bank. for now. all ive done so far is air/egr delete and put an slp lid on. im going to get it tuned soon after i fix my o2 sensor. but what can i do other than that, that is small and wont break my bank before i start moving towards larger mods such as heads cam and all that?
before i do heads and cam i plan to rebuild my motor as well being high miles (160,xxx). just dont have the money and time for all of that right now
Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000z28jde
I have a stock 2000 camaro z28 m6. im pretty new to the ls1 world, and i want to start with the smaller stuff that can give me higher numbers without breaking the bank. for now. all ive done so far is air/egr delete and put an slp lid on. im going to get it tuned soon after i fix my o2 sensor. but what can i do other than that, that is small and wont break my bank before i start moving towards larger mods such as heads cam and all that?
before i do heads and cam i plan to rebuild my motor as well being high miles (160,xxx). just dont have the money and time for all of that right now
an ls1 with 160k miles wont for sure need a full rebuild, honestly just a good tune up would do wonders for you, seafoam, fresh plugs and wires, fluid changes and maybe gaskets if they have the infamous oil drip.

as far as lighter mods that wont break the bank its been some time since ive had my last LS1 car but i believe the 01 and 02 cars came stock with the ls6 intake and the 00' cars started midway through the year. other than finding your build date or pulling the intake itself i dont know of any other way to for sure tell. but if you dont have the ls6 intake id recommend it as its a usual first. Long tube headers wont break the bank either and arnt that hard to install, and while your down there hook up some O2 simulators. far as catbacks go its dealers choice just dont go with the loudmouth system it gets stupid raspy with headers. other popular mods are gear swaps, underdrive pulleys, and LCA's with relo brackets. good luck on your build and a heads up id stay away from choosing heads until you select a cam, cams and heads should be bought together and match each others strengths and weaknesses
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car had EGR it has a LS1 intake. I wouldn't bother having it tuned till you add more mods like headers, and a LS6 intake. Even then I'd just get a mail order tune. Also there is no reason to get o2 sims when you do headers if your going to have the car tuned. I do agree there is no reason to rebuild a LS1 just because it has 160k, there is a guy on here that put heads and a cam on his 200k stock short block. It's got 230k now and he's spraying it with a 150 hp wet shot.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
an ls1 with 160k miles wont for sure need a full rebuild, honestly just a good tune up would do wonders for you, seafoam, fresh plugs and wires, fluid changes and maybe gaskets if they have the infamous oil drip.

as far as lighter mods that wont break the bank its been some time since ive had my last LS1 car but i believe the 01 and 02 cars came stock with the ls6 intake and the 00' cars started midway through the year. other than finding your build date or pulling the intake itself i dont know of any other way to for sure tell. but if you dont have the ls6 intake id recommend it as its a usual first. Long tube headers wont break the bank either and arnt that hard to install, and while your down there hook up some O2 simulators. far as catbacks go its dealers choice just dont go with the loudmouth system it gets stupid raspy with headers. other popular mods are gear swaps, underdrive pulleys, and LCA's with relo brackets. good luck on your build and a heads up id stay away from choosing heads until you select a cam, cams and heads should be bought together and match each others strengths and weaknesses
thanks! and yeah i didnt pan to get heads or cam until i could do them both. two birds with one stone. and i was looking at the loudmouth cause they sound good on a stock car but thank you ill keep that in mind. and i do not have the ls6 intake. aain thank you ill keep that in mind. i was looking at some LTs. Just as i said money. so i have to figure what i want to do first. but for sure putting in new o2 sensors for the precat since i have a rough idle and i need to get it tuned since i deleted the egr and air and i absolutely hate ses lights.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
If the car had EGR it has a LS1 intake. I wouldn't bother having it tuned till you add more mods like headers, and a LS6 intake. Even then I'd just get a mail order tune. Also there is no reason to get o2 sims when you do headers if your going to have the car tuned. I do agree there is no reason to rebuild a LS1 just because it has 160k, there is a guy on here that put heads and a cam on his 200k stock short block. It's got 230k now and he's spraying it with a 150 hp wet shot.
ok thank you as well, ill keep that in mind. any good mail order tunes that tune out the ses for the air and egr delete? and i plan to do an ls6 and LTs as soon as i can just need to look at my options and research whats the best bang for my buck.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frost is probably the most popular for mail order tune but anybody with HP Tuners or EFI live should be able to do it. The best bang for the buck headers would be Speed Engineering 1 7/8's they're only $390 for both headers and y pipe. Also although the LM1 tends to be a little on the obnoxious side with headers and a ORY the LM2 isn't as bad or you can swap any 16-18 inch bullet muffler in place of either LM's resonator. My personal favorite would be to make it a Magna Mouth with a Magnaflow muffler. If you want to try to save some money you could try this Ebay catback out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Camaro-Trans-Am-Catback-Stainless-Exhaust-LS1-SS-Z28-CAT-BACK-BULLET-CHEVY-/151057327837?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item232bb7e6dd&vxp=mtrLooks to be about the same as a LM2.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Frost is probably the most popular for mail order tune but anybody with HP Tuners or EFI live should be able to do it. The best bang for the buck headers would be Speed Engineering 1 7/8's they're only $390 for both headers and y pipe. Also although the LM1 tends to be a little on the obnoxious side with headers and a ORY the LM2 isn't as bad or you can swap any 16-18 inch bullet muffler in place of either LM's resonator. My personal favorite would be to make it a Magna Mouth with a Magnaflow muffler. If you want to try to save some money you could try this Ebay catback out.
98-02-Camaro-Trans-Am-Catback-Stainless-Exhaust-LS1-SS-Z28-CAT-BACK-BULLET
Looks to be about the same as a LM2.
i was looking at the speed engineering 1 7/8 deal they had going and was thinking of going with that just didnt know if they were any good of a brand or what cause of the price. the offroad y pipe deletes cats correct? id like to do that deal if they are good headers and then probably go with LM2
Old 11-22-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thx forgot about the EGR input on the ls1 intake. wasnt telling him to get it tuned just a tune up i.e fresh fluids and plugs and whatnot, tune can wait until everything is done, which is why i mentioned the o2 sims so he can do LT's and not have to get a tune to get ses light off.

OP if you are going to just replace the o2 sensors after an LT install theres two ways you can do it, 1 you can just pickup the bosch corvette sensros that have extra length or you can rewire the pcm to use the rear o2's as the front o2's. your choice. in my case i already had o2 sims in the rear and just did the rewire.

Quick Reply: Build Help