New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley bolt - cannot fully torque?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...-good-one.html
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/trans...e-lockout.html

I think these links will help you figure something out. Sounds like when the solenoid is unhooked it's possible but requires serious effort and risks transmission damage to try to get it into reverse. Test it by hooking a battery to it maybe? There's also the "skip shift" or second gear lockout you may or may not have and should likely check out depending on what you've got.

+1 that crank holding apparatus is simple, obvious, and really sweet.
I've got a battery that I can quickly hook up to test. I'll try that out. Thanks for that, the links, and all the help. Greatly appreciated!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The skip shift solenoid shouldn't cause you any problems it's inactive when unplugged.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fry_
The skip shift solenoid shouldn't cause you any problems it's inactive when unplugged.
Then I'm still confused why it feels like I'm basically hitting a wall when trying to put it into reverse with it sitting disconnected from the motor.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those links seem to indicate the reverse lockout is separate from the skip-shift. I just mentioned that as he might want to make sure he doesn't have a problem with that in the future. It makes sense; one prevents damage from too high of RPM going into second and the other prevents from going into reverse unless you are going very slow.

Did I get that wrong?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Those links seem to indicate the reverse lockout is separate from the skip-shift. I just mentioned that as he might want to make sure he doesn't have a problem with that in the future. It makes sense; one prevents damage from too high of RPM going into second and the other prevents from going into reverse unless you are going very slow.

Did I get that wrong?
No, you're right. I was tired when I read his response and didn't even register that he was talking about the skip shift and not the lockout.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Did you figure out the lockout?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Did you figure out the lockout?
I did, in fact. It was simply needing a little power and it moves over to reverse, smooth as butter! First time I've dealt with an electric lockout, so I wasn't aware of it.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Cool. You going to cut the spring or just apply power to it? Or are you going to use a PCM/harness that will power it appropriately?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm just going to let the pcm and harness take care of it.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Gotcha. Going into a vehicle that can use the electronic speedo? You'll need an electronic signal for the PCM but if you have an older vehicle with a cable driven speedometer you may have a problem. I bought a Dakota Digital piece from Novak that gives both an electronic signal and a passthrough for a cable drive that makes both work. I've got a SM465 transmission with electronic nothing but still wanted speedo signal to the PCM. Haven't hooked it up yet but it's in the pile of "next month" parts.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats smart, it would be to easy to miss 5th and hit reverse without the lock out.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha. Going into a vehicle that can use the electronic speedo? You'll need an electronic signal for the PCM but if you have an older vehicle with a cable driven speedometer you may have a problem. I bought a Dakota Digital piece from Novak that gives both an electronic signal and a passthrough for a cable drive that makes both work. I've got a SM465 transmission with electronic nothing but still wanted speedo signal to the PCM. Haven't hooked it up yet but it's in the pile of "next month" parts.
Going into am S2000. I'm still trying to figure out where best to pull the signal from. I know pin 50 on the red connector is the signal out, but I think the pcm for the 99-02 camaro sends a 12v square wave, while the s2000 expects a 5v square wave, so I'll probably have to make a pull down resistor. This is all theory, of course. I won't really know until I can get the motor in the car and test drive.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like I have it relatively easy by comparison.

That's going to be a fun project when running. What are you doing for rear end?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like I have it relatively easy by comparison.

That's going to be a fun project when running. What are you doing for rear end?
Rear end is going to remain stock for now. Later on, if I blow it, I will probably either go with another stock rear end that is cryotreated (ie, puddymod, known to handle a good bit of power thrown at it) or an 8.8 conversion.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

That's surprising. Is the S2000 rear end fairly strong for what it is? I figured any decent LS and a stick would explode such a thing...backing out of the driveway. Auto might seem a little more gentle but still there's more than double the torque there and at maybe 3000 less RPM? I know nothing about a Honda rear axle.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

That's surprising. Is the S2000 rear end fairly strong for what it is? I figured any decent LS and a stick would explode such a thing...backing out of the driveway. Auto might seem a little more gentle but still there's more than double the torque there and at maybe 3000 less RPM? I know nothing about a Honda rear axle.
That's actually a little bit of a loaded question, in truth. The stock rear end is pretty strong with general driving, even spirited. However, the problem tends to come when you go to launch, as it generally causes the crush sleeve to go out and, boom, no more diff.

The LS swap is actually going to be replacing an SR20DET swap I did that, at 20psi of boost, is putting out about 350hp/tq, and my rear end has held up beautifully thus far. *knocks on wood*
Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well sounds like fun. I'd be more envious if I could even fit in a S2000. I tried once when I was skinny and it wasn't very comfortable. I eat a little better and move a little less these days so I'll leave it to you.

Good luck with your project.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Well sounds like fun. I'd be more envious if I could even fit in a S2000. I tried once when I was skinny and it wasn't very comfortable. I eat a little better and move a little less these days so I'll leave it to you.

Good luck with your project.
Ha, yeah, it's not for everybody. Couple that with the hardtop I have and it makes it a little bit less spacious if somebody wants a lot of head room, but it's basically a perfect fit for me.

Thank you again for all your help and for the great discussion!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

So, bumping this back up now that I've gotten the motor in the car, transmission/driveshaft and all. Threw the car into 4th and attempted to get that last 40 degrees....no luck. Used a breaker bar and even a pipe over the breaker bar to extend it, it just would not budge past the 100 degrees that I've gotten.. At this point I am worried about causing damage if I keep trying to torque it further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank pulley bolt - cannot fully torque?