Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to bleed power steering system

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to bleed power steering system

Fellas, I just changed my power steering pump. I was an idiot by forgeting to bleed the system afterwards and drove the car to school, which is about 30 minutes away. I got back, pulled the cap off the reservoir, turned on the engine, turned the wheel lock to lock several times, but still had no power steering. Did I ruin my new pump already or is there a step that I missed in order to bleed the rest of the air out. I have a 96 trans am ws6 if it helps. Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No pump runs for long without fluid in it without damage but it's worth a few bucks of fluid to see. I do not have an F-body but on any vehicle I have had, I've just pulled the return(low-pressure) hose that goes back to the reservoir, filled reservoir, then turned by hand(and re-filled) until nothing but fluid comes out. I've used this technique to change my fluid as well..turn and re-fill until fluid comes out clean. Then hook back up, top off, run it for a short period turning several times lock to lock, then top off again. Drive a few mins then check and check level every day or so until you are comfortable.

That being said, if you bought it from somewhere with a warranty, I'd exchange it..they will just send it to be remanufactured anyway and wont have a way to test it off the car.

Good luck

Last edited by Mercier; 12-15-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Cool well that was what I was hoping for. I didn't take off the low pressure hose but the pump did suck aome fluid in cause when I checkes the reservoir it was dry. I will try this method thanks for your help
Old 12-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I bled the system and now im getting a bunch of lights turning on the dash. The airbag light is on and the abs inop light is on. Also my left blinker just stays on when I use it, no more blinking sound just a constant light on the dash. Oh I still don't have power steering
Old 12-16-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like maybe driving the car a good bit without power steering might have caused some damage in the column. I would address the power steering issue and then take the column apart and look for pinched, disconnected, broken wires.

Quick Reply: how to bleed power steering system