New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Bored with A4 need M6

Old 05-27-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP!! Bored with A4 need M6

I originally wanted a 6spd but got this car with low miles and a fair price. A year later I'm tired of the automatic and want to put in a 6spd. Anyone want to swap out there T56 for a 4l60E with 18000 miles? No problems at all with it. Or does anyone know where I can find a complete setup to do the swap? I read somewhere about billygrahamscamaros but I couldn't find a web site for it. I also looked in the parts for sale with no results. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its going to cost you thousands, plus you'll kill the
value of the car. So I'd take the money and take
factor it into the cost of a trade. Doesn't look like
you have a ton of money into mods so in the end
you might get to the same result cheaper after you
buy them all back and you won't have to worry about
screw ups in the install.
Just my .02
Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Get a Torque Converter, sit back, & hold on!!
Everyone knows Stalled A4's will kill an M6 any day!!!
Do a search on Torque converters......
Old 05-27-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thats great if your a die hard track guy
but if want to have fun on the street there isn't
an option. Personally I wouldn't even buy an A4.
Not flaming, just my personal preferance.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by locosteelersfan
Yeah thats great if your a die hard track guy
but if want to have fun on the street there isn't
an option. Personally I wouldn't even buy an A4.
Not flaming, just my personal preferance.
to the nth power
Old 05-27-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Not arguing either....
however, my car is driven daily with 145K on the clock. 10K of that with the TQ converter. ( Yank)
IMHO there is no comparison.
Just as you would never have an A4. After driving an A4 stalled, i will never go back to an M6.
JMO.....
Sorry to steal the thread..
Old 05-27-2004, 10:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
Not arguing either....
however, my car is driven daily with 145K on the clock. 10K of that with the TQ converter. ( Yank)
IMHO there is no comparison.
Just as you would never have an A4. After driving an A4 stalled, i will never go back to an M6.
JMO.....
Sorry to steal the thread..

you have 145k on your 2k damn thats alot of miles. i thought 96.5k on my old 98 motor was alot.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

you have 145k on your 2k damn thats alot of miles. i thought 96.5k on my old 98 motor was alot.
Yes it is... I bought the car off the showroom floor with 8 miles on it in Dec of 1999..
These are great cars.. Would you believe me if i told you that it only uses 1/2 quart of oil per 6K mile oil changes?
Would you also believe that it will still run mid 12's in the 1/4? & still get 22 MPG.....
Can't beat these LS1's!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:35 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

A nice convertor and a manual valve body is pretty sweet. I just went to a full manual valve body and all i can say is it's great to have full control of your shift points
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

ditto to what others have said ... if you're bored w/your A4 then get a torque converter... if you have any f-body friends w/convertered cars see if they'll let you drive it....

the converter really wakes up the car... and makes it alot of fun to drive...

The only issue I've had my converters is I keep wanting to go bigger (SY3500 to Vig3600 and a PT4400 coming soon)
Old 05-27-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i 1st read the title i already knew that you didnt have a stall put in. get a TC and then post "i never wanna get rid of my car!" i just put mine in, and i fukn love it. i think i am gonna go a drive right now actully. get a stall and youll never think twice about sellin your car again. and thats a garuntee!

J
Old 05-27-2004, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was originally going to put a TCI SSF3500 in the car this spring/summer. Then this guy came up to me last Friday night trying to buy my car from me. At first I told him no way, a little time went buy (1 day) and I started thinking about how I always wanted a 6spd. Sunday I called him up, shot him a fairly steep price, and waited. I am really happpy with this cars performance compared to other cars around here but I thought this might be my chance at a M6. Then today the thought crossed my mine that I could just do a trans swap. There are only a few F-bods running around here. One a 99 TA M6 with a **** driver that I completely embarrassed last summer on the street, and a guy with a 02 M6 SOM Firehawk that I just can't get to pull over. I even know this guy from back in highschool. I think he doesn't want to chance a defeat so he won't give me the oppurtunity to ask for a run. As you see there are no cars with stalls to see how it feels in one of these cars. I have to go completely off what all you guys on here say. So what do you all think, stall, trans swap, or sell it and buy another car(M6). Thanks alot.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

put a converter in...

the swap takes alot of work (I looked into it breifly...) and money

if you like your car then why sell? if you truly want a M6 then yes.. sell the car. and get what YOU want

but i'd "give a converter a chance"
Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like I said I wouldn't consider the conversion.
So it comes to stall or sell for M6. That depends on
your goals. Stall will make you a tenth or so faster if
that is your main concern. Strictly my opinion, it still
doesn't compare to having complete control of your drivetrain.
Anytime I want I can approach a corner at 3K and nail it all
the way through and rip the next gear. It just makes driving more
like driving. I don't have to wait for a downshift or for overdrive to
take over every time I'm not on the throttle. That comes down to
basics. Yes TC's make A4 faster/funner put it still takes away 1/2 of
the driving and gives it to a computer. Theres a reason why "performance"
cars come with manuals and alot of them don't even offer anything less.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll chime in since it seems you're not sure about going to a M6 or stalling your A4.

I was a devout M6 fan. I wouldn't have my '99 Z28 any other way. I even razzed a good friend harshly when he bought a '00 A4, that is until he installed a Vig3200 and I took it for a ride.

Well, long story short, I now own a '02 Z28 A4 with a Yank ST3800 and I love it. I would never go back to a M6 unless I was going to compete in road racing. There's definitely a fun factor to a stalled A4. A night and day difference. I won't bash the M6 guys, I was one not so long ago, but there's something to be said about a stalled A4.

A good converter isn't horribly expensive (especially compared to a conversion) so I would say give it a chance. Typically people tend to want a bigger converter after their first so keep that in mind when choosing.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started with an a4 and got bored of it so i bought an m6. I love my m6
Old 05-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I would never consider a trans swap. It sounds to me like you need to define your requirements a little more clearly. If you want the M6 just because it's an M6, and simply enjoy driving around in a manual, then sell the car, and get one. If you're looking for performance, get the converter - it'll get the blood pumping for sure. I have an acquaintance who opted to go the tranny swap route. After dropping quite a bit of $$, ended up selling the car (half way through the swap) for half it's value. It's a huge ordeal to swap, as this guy discovered after cutting, torching, grinding....then deciding to have a shop put it all back together...which after discussing the situation with the shop, realized he couldn't afford to have the shop finish the job for him. The outcome of this particular drama is he ended up selling a a '00 ws6 (32k mi.) for 6 grand, and now drives a '91 RS
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Leave it up to fate, if this guy will give what you want for the car or close enough to it, sell it. If you can't get what you want/need for the car than buy the converter. Either way good luck and have fun...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I have to concur with the other guys on the conversion. Do a search and there'll be a link to a guy named Alex Afratasheh, or something like that, and you'll get an idea of just how daunting a job it is. I prefer manuals, but drive an A4 because the car was nice and the price was good. Like you, I came close to selling it, but the guy wanted to dicker on price and it was a no go. I hope to have a converter in it by this time next year.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

i had a 98 formula ws6 a4....and after a year and a half i was looking into the conversion....if you have two cars sitting right next to eachother, where u can just swap it in total, its not so bad. wouldn't try it any other way. in any event, the car got totalled and now i own a '00 trans am m6....and love it. would only buy an auto if i planned on makin it a drag car....but i prefer street racing and the m6 has no equal out there.

Search this Thread