Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Sensor/Air Intake Duct Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Sensor/Air Intake Duct Resonator Removal

I recently acquired a 1999 Z28. I've learned a lot from this forum but I'm on a "learn as you go" routine with the mods I'm interested in doing. I'm in the process of installing an SLP lid and ran into some trouble. This may sound like a stupid question but I don't have much experience working on cars. Is there a safe way to remove the MAF sensor from the air intake duct resonator? I can't pull them apart. My neighbor said to hold the MAF in one hand and to tap the resonator with a rubber mallet until they separate. I skeptical about trying his approach, though. I'd rather be safe than sorry and post this question before I break out a rubber mallet and possibly damaging the MAF.

Also, I've read up on this installation and it seems that there's a big problem with installing the MAF into the airlid’s neck. I've read about and plan on heating the airlid's neck with a hair dryer and hoping that's all it takes for the MAF to slide in. Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like mine didn't have a load of trouble coming apart, and a hair dryer is what I used to put the lid and maf sensor together. You're on the right track. It still won't just slide right in, but don't be afraid to work in in there with a little elbow grease.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Just keep twisting on the resonator and MAF and they should separate without too much difficulty.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor/Air Intake Duct Resonator Removal