LSA swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 AM
MDO
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSA swap

Hello everyone Im new to this site,
I have been reading and preparing for years now educating myself on ls engines.

my project is a 1980 Malibu classic sedan and hasn't had a motor for about 4 years now but this was my first car 10ish years ago.

I have a 5.3 out of a 04 Tahoe, Im going to the junk yard to get a wiring harness, pcm and DBC throttle body.

Im getting a trans out of a 4x4 TH400, monster in a box with a manual valve body (doing this myself).

First question is should I buy a short tail shaft or a long tail shaft?
and when I buy the spacer for the flywheel on a th400 does it go on the front or back?

ill be mating everything to a ford 9 inch at the rear I still have to go pick it up.

motor mounts are on the way and ill be selling my 1 inch set backs I had bought for my Tahoe.

this will be happening over summer restoring the frame but leaving the body in its current shape to touch up the tiny smidgens of rust to make a ratty looking muscle car.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you said you have motor mounts but you can save yourself a lot of headaches by buying the Hooker/ Holley g body engine swap parts.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-preview.html
Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 AM
MDO
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
I know you said you have motor mounts but you can save yourself a lot of headaches by buying the Hooker/ Holley g body engine swap parts.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...m-preview.html
I never knew holley made an entire kit like that. I had already bought the oil pan and motor mounts. but I bought 1 inch set backs awhile ago and I bought motor mounts with no set back because I had trouble with the 1 inch set backs.

I was most curious and reading on here that people do use the turbo 400, my tranny guy insured my it wouldn't work but I was positive that it would with the space on the fly wheel? does the spacer go on the front of the fly wheel or the back?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on which flexplate you have. If you have a flat one it goes between the crank and flexplate if you have one with a dish in the middle it goes on after. There are 3 reasons I'd sell the motor mounts and oil pan you already have, adaptor plates raise the motor up reducing hood clearance and causing crappy driveline/ u-joint angles, you can buy headers that actualy fit, and everything will fit and be easier to install. One guy noted that it took him longer to install his shifter than it did to install his entire drivetrain and headers.

Quick Reply: LSA swap