Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vats question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Vats question

So some time back I made a couple of posts about some starting issues with my Z. One where when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens for about 10 seconds and then the car starts cranking. Another where the car will crank and start, but immediately die and backfire.

Since I know VATS controls both fuel and starting, I was wondering if it was a possibility that VATS was causing these issues?

And then, on top of that, if the VATS bypass actually bypassed the VATS module or if it just simulated the proper resistor code in the vehicle and everything still ran through the module.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my reading, I do believe VATS could be the culprit. Also the bypass solutions I have seen seem to simulate the key with a resistor. I believe VATS can be turned off altogether with a tune. That being said, have you tried swapping in another BCM?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

No, I (admittedly) don't know much about the VATS system beyond the resistor code and that it controls the starter and fuel.

Time to start reading lol

Edit: I don't suppose if I swap the BCM I'll have to take it to a dealership and have it reprogrammed will I?

Last edited by HappySalesman; 02-07-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm. You might need a key with a different resistor value. Not sure if that is set in the BCM or what. Likely. OR just get yourself a tune and get rid of that. And get yourself a BCM too.

Quick Reply: Vats question