New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L! To boost or not to boost

Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelobro
I had planned to rebuild my grandfather's 67 impala but my father sold it while I was in college. Don't do the truck the way you want it. Do it the way he would have wanted it. It will likely mean more to you. Think about getting another project car to make your own. Just my humble opinion.
That's the thing. Grandpa never had any hotrods. He is a workin man through and through. He liked his farm and hated his cattle so I'll stay away from the horns on the grill.

So are the Chinese turbos off eBay garbage? Severely mixed reviews.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gobi
That's the thing. Grandpa never had any hotrods. He is a workin man through and through. He liked his farm and hated his cattle so I'll stay away from the horns on the grill.

So are the Chinese turbos off eBay garbage? Severely mixed reviews.
I don't do turbos, maybe someone on here can help you. Bearings will likely be made in China no matter where the turbo is made
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cant speak about the china turbos, but I'm voting to boost it. You could also check out the classified section for a used P1 or D1 Procharger.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gobi
Yea I've seen them make some pretty sweet power. I'm excited but like I said, only see Chinese turbo builds. I've heard they aren't reliable but... I dunno if the technology has come along or if they are still a wild card. Is it worth the risk or should I spend the money?

The video I posted has a Precision turbo, so that isn't chinese.

As far as turbos go, $1,500 for that Precision PT 76/75 isn't a bad price. You can find them used for cheaper I'm sure.

Just spend a bit more on a quality turbo, not necessarily $1500, skip the chinese crap, and you have a sweet build.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepsis
The video I posted has a Precision turbo, so that isn't chinese.

As far as turbos go, $1,500 for that Precision PT 76/75 isn't a bad price. You can find them used for cheaper I'm sure.

Just spend a bit more on a quality turbo, not necessarily $1500, skip the chinese crap, and you have a sweet build.
Find a surplus turbo off a ford power stroke
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM

What about the ball bearing upgrade? For a non race street application, is it worth spending the extra money? Considering that upgrade nearly doubles the cost of the turbo?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was researching a primary interest for me was quick spool in a street application. BB was advertised to offer 5%-10% quicker spool with less resistance compared to a static bushing. Of course BB can last longer if made right but the out-of-the-box promise was quick spool. And on the street that is important. Race, you can just set the car up to run 3000-7000RPM and who cares about boost at 2000? That was 5+ years ago and I sold the project. What's the popular opinion out there now?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 AM

I've read that the spooling at lower rpms is not an issue. I'm looking at the borg warner turbos. Seem to be cheaper and they are apparently just as high quality as the other manufacturers.

What kind of rear end do i put in this? Can I put a stock rear end off a different car? Which one? With the turbo, I'm looking around 500 to 600.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

In what way is spooling at low RPMs "not an issue?" I've read that for $12 you can make your car run off of water...doesn't make it true. If someone tells you spooling at low RPMs is not an issue, either they are lying or they have a very well-spec'd and tuned turbo setup. (or a tiny turbo that spools very quickly but chokes on the top end)

That being said, lack of boost at lower RPMs IS less of an issue when you start with a relatively torquey V8 like an LS BUT getting the boost in earlier is going to make it a LOT more fun on the street.

Any mfg that builds stuff for big car mfgs is generally pretty good.

You've probably got a decent rear in there to build. Easiest way is to count the bolts on most GMs.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mercier
In what way is spooling at low RPMs "not an issue?" I've read that for $12 you can make your car run off of water.
I should've chosen different words I suppose... I meant it's not as much of an issue now as it was 5 years ago. I don't see it as "an issue" but that's just me I suppose.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I think it should still be a concern..I just meant that folks may be using different strategies to overcome. Any way you do it, turbo V8 is badass. Lot of room under the hood of a Jeep...but the new engine has almost 11:1 already so will have to likely do L92 top end first to get the CR down. But two small-ish turbos would be insane in a 3000-lb vehicle. So who knows. After I figure out the T56.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:05 PM

Ok so got the full on info for the truck. It's a 78 k10. 12 bolt rear diff. 3.73s. 400 small block.

What are my options?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

You've got a good rear to start with if it isn't making any real bad noises and doesn't have a lot of slack in it. Likely have a Turbo 400 transmission which is easy to mate to a LS engine. If you don't care about long trips and good gas mileage, you could just freshen all of that up a bit. Or is it a stick? 3.73 is not a bad gear..good all-around ratio.

That's a mid-weight truck and 4x4 adds to that. I'd consider a 6.0 of you can swing the $. More low-end to get things moving. I can't remember from the start of the thread if you already purchased an engine?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 PM

I have not yet got an engine. This is an auto truck.

Is the 400 worth doing anything in the mean time to? Or just clean it drive it for now until the swap?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

It can be built to make decent power but the design is 70 years old. Much more bang for your buck with LS. A stock 6.0 will make twice the power of that 400 if not more. A few bolt-ons and you get the idea.

I'd clean it and tune it up but beyond that I wouldn't put any money into it. If it runs reasonably you can probably get a couple hundred bucks for it to the right person.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mercier
It can be built to make decent power but the design is 70 years old. Much more bang for your buck with LS. A stock 6.0 will make twice the power of that 400 if not more. A few bolt-ons and you get the idea.

I'd clean it and tune it up but beyond that I wouldn't put any money into it. If it runs reasonably you can probably get a couple hundred bucks for it to the right person.
Yea that's kinda what I was planning on. use the extra money on the turbo extras I need.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Well truck is on board. Full time 4x4 so it's not quite what I expected but I'll make it work. I'll post some pics in a bit. She's kinda beat up but that's perfect.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Define full-time 4x4 for us? Didn't think such a thing would come on a '78.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM

I found myself a 72 c10 2wd. Just gonna get this Ole heffer running and clean it up and sell it. Be a great mud truck but not right for the build Im doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3L! To boost or not to boost