Sponsored by:

Noisy lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Probably a leaking-damaged oring on the pickup tube
OP said "plenty" of oil pressure but maybe we could get clarification on exactly what their idea of "plenty" is?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Oil pressure would only be lower if it was bADLY damaged. A broken-damaged or ripped oring can just leak a small amount of AIR into the oil, this air causes the lifters to tap and tick and clatter.

Stop the engine and look for small air bubbles on the dip stick. Not always a good indicator but warmed up there should be none. Another good test is do the lifters quiet down a bit if you let it idle? If they do then start getting noisy as you rev higher its a sure bet there is air entering the oil at oring. IT doesn't leak oil if its damaged, AIR leaks into the oil stream. Lifters can't have any air in them, if they do they get very noisy quick.

These air bubbles in the oil stream really don't effect the bearings, but the lifters will collapse.

Lucas oil treatment is just going to hide the pinched oring by plugging up the damage. CHANGE THE ORING.

I wouldn't put Lucas oil treatment in ANYTHING I wanted to last. Its complete garbage, just a thickening agent that ends up plugging everything up with muck.

:sigh: gm generated so many problems with this piece of crap oring design, trust me it was planned to generate lots and lots of dealer-parts cash.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 03-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah so air compresses whereas fluid doesn't. Lifters run(pump up) on hydraulic pressure. Basically we're in the same boat as air in the brake lines. Makes sense.

Do I have that right?

Quick Reply: Noisy lifters