Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General feeler on LS2 prices, oiling system

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General feeler on LS2 prices, oiling system

Hey guys. I am in the early planning phase of a swap, at least a few months away from spending any money.

I have decided that I would like to use an aluminum block LS2 from a GTO or Corvette for my build - has to be an aluminum block because the project is rear engined and the extra weight will be a problem if I go iron. I'm also planning to keep the motor stock as far as power output, so no turbos, blowers, or nitrous, probably not even a cam. Don't need huge power, the car wouldn't handle it anyway.

My first question is where I should be looking for a junkyard/takeout LS2. I get the impression that they're getting harder to find. I talked to Cleveland PAP and got some information from them, I'd prefer local (I'm in SE florida) but the yards around here suck. I am comfortable rebuilding and upgrading a junkyard motor, and I expect I will be tearing down anything I buy just to make certain it's good to go.

Second question, what's a reasonable price for a complete aluminum LS2 WITHOUT a transmission? It seems that they command a price premium over the LS1 but I don't know what prices are ridiculous and what's normal.

Third question and last for now, my local engine builder swears that the LS platform is terrible and the oiling system is subpar. This guy is an old school BBC/SBC guy and I am pretty sure if there was a real problem it'd be well documented elsewhere (haven't found much to support this), but is this something I should be worried about? The car will be run hard in a straight line occasionally but it's unlikely to be tracked or raced. Would I be okay with an upgraded oil pump + baffle or is that unnecessary for mild street usage?

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be asking more as things move along.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn
Hey guys. I am in the early planning phase of a swap, at least a few months away from spending any money.

I have decided that I would like to use an aluminum block LS2 from a GTO or Corvette for my build - has to be an aluminum block because the project is rear engined and the extra weight will be a problem if I go iron. I'm also planning to keep the motor stock as far as power output, so no turbos, blowers, or nitrous, probably not even a cam. Don't need huge power, the car wouldn't handle it anyway.

My first question is where I should be looking for a junkyard/takeout LS2. I get the impression that they're getting harder to find. I talked to Cleveland PAP and got some information from them, I'd prefer local (I'm in SE florida) but the yards around here suck. I am comfortable rebuilding and upgrading a junkyard motor, and I expect I will be tearing down anything I buy just to make certain it's good to go.

Second question, what's a reasonable price for a complete aluminum LS2 WITHOUT a transmission? It seems that they command a price premium over the LS1 but I don't know what prices are ridiculous and what's normal.

Third question and last for now, my local engine builder swears that the LS platform is terrible and the oiling system is subpar. This guy is an old school BBC/SBC guy and I am pretty sure if there was a real problem it'd be well documented elsewhere (haven't found much to support this), but is this something I should be worried about? The car will be run hard in a straight line occasionally but it's unlikely to be tracked or raced. Would I be okay with an upgraded oil pump + baffle or is that unnecessary for mild street usage?

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll be asking more as things move along.
For starters you should be looking at any ls2, if thats what you want. This would also include a trailblazer ss motor as they are ls2 powered as well. I would say search e-pay craigslists forums word of mouth and any other way you can branch out. As for price, I just bought my ls2 from a TBSS with under 70k for 2500 (Not stolen, from copart, with copy of pink slip) . motor trans wiring harness cpu and all. I took the trans to have the 4 wheel drive pieces removed for 300$ and was ready to have my mechanic start my reinstall. He put my old car accessories on front and made some adjustments and we were in business! And as for your final question, you know this guy better than us, but I am willing to bet my life he has no where near the resources the GM company and engineers have behind them. I have never heard such a thing. From everything I have read and heard the ls is a modern miracle for car builders and enthusiasts like us, if they had a glaring weakness I think it would affect popularity and it would be easier to get whatever ls or iron block you wanted instead of it being a real challenge. Look I am a noob like yourself, research is your friend but you cant let one mans word steer your build from an ls. Sorry guys for the rant, good luck with your search man!!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I really, really need it to be an aluminum block. The iron block - JUST the block - already weighs 50 pounds more than the motor that I pulled, and this is a rear engine car - motor behind axles. The weight difference between aluminum and iron is important enough to make this a sticking point.

Luckily this is quite a ways off so I have nothing but time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't get ripped off.

I may end up buying a salvage car and reselling the shell. I am seeing some complete GTOs and Corvettes that are listed lower than the ebay LS2 prices for junkyard takeout motors.

Will keep my eyes and ears open, anyone else have any insights?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn
Yeah, I really, really need it to be an aluminum block. The iron block - JUST the block - already weighs 50 pounds more than the motor that I pulled, and this is a rear engine car - motor behind axles. The weight difference between aluminum and iron is important enough to make this a sticking point.

Luckily this is quite a ways off so I have nothing but time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't get ripped off.

I may end up buying a salvage car and reselling the shell. I am seeing some complete GTOs and Corvettes that are listed lower than the ebay LS2 prices for junkyard takeout motors.

Will keep my eyes and ears open, anyone else have any insights?

I understand you need an aluminum block, like I said previously the SSTB's have an ls2, the same motor as a corvette ir GTO motor. All I was saying is weigh all your options. Remember an LS2 is an LS2 just different intake and front accessories(there are a few minor differences but not worth the difference in price). Like I said, I have an LS2 from a SSTB, I got a super deal. With the mileage my motor has I would have paid double if not more from a vette. Do what you like I just wanna make sure you have all the info before you pull the trigger.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Okay, I'm an idiot - thanks for the info. I didn't pick up the fact that the TBSS LS was also aluminum - shame on me for reading while groggy.

That info is super helpful and opens up a bunch of other options. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

No worries man, we don't know if we don't know. Goodluck, I will also be looking for you.

Quick Reply: General feeler on LS2 prices, oiling system