Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 04:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune

I have had my 99 Firebird for a little over a month now and decided to put long tubes on it and get it tuned. I went with SLP long tubes, the new design, aside from them coming with Y pipe, high flow cats, and being mandrel bent, they bolt up easy and keep all factory emission junk in tact. When i had it in the shop that installed them for me i also had them replace the upstream 02's, plugs and wires, and install a catch can. The long tubes with Y pipe, cats, basically everything you need from the exhaust forward and 02 wire extensions were 1400.00, i had them installed at a shop here in Salt Lake City by Premier Complete Auto Repair. I know alot of people recommend saving the money and doing it yourself, and i would have loved to do that i just dont have the time, the space or the tools however i do have the money to pay someone so it made it alot easier for me to just have it done. The end result is great, i didnt have a baseline dyno but i can say judging by the feel of the car it seemed to give it quite a bit, especially above 4000 RPM, and contrary to what i had read online before buying the slp headers, they dont sit super low, i dont think ill have any clearance issues. My only complaint is its really loud and has some drone, (might have something to do with LM2 coupled with the LTs) which is fine for cruising around town but makes it not so fun if your driving for more then an hour or so on the freeway. With the dyno tune it made 330 RWHP and 345 TQ on a AWD dyno jet. The car has, Cold air intake, Long Tubes, SLP 3" exhaust, and a dyno tune. Next is a strange Dana 60 rear end, or a ford 9" and then a cam. I wanna do all the support mods first so i am not having to constantly fix things after i do bigger power adders. Ill let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully this gives someone a better idea of what headers will give you...
Attached Thumbnails My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3411.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3412.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3423.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3424.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3425.jpg  

My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3431.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3432.jpg   My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune-img_3430.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

ground clearance looks fine. yea it must be loud with a LM2.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, I think just about everyone comments on how loud the LM1/2 get when you add headers to the mix.

Premier is a good shop too, Heath tuned my car last April. Not to many good tuners in our area, I'm up in Park City by the way.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I drive through park city every day on my way to work in evanston... Do you know if there are ever any f-body meet ups or anything like that around our area? There are plenty of ricer groups and all that in salt lake but, they're ricers... Kinda getting tired of having to smoke them so they don't go and tell their buddy's about how they beat up on a Trans am...
Old 03-08-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and I know you are enjoying the change! They look good! I went ARH with their Y and high flowing cats with the LM1 and love the sound. Mine lost alot of the drone and rasp when I did this.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by krg123
I drive through park city every day on my way to work in evanston... Do you know if there are ever any f-body meet ups or anything like that around our area? There are plenty of ricer groups and all that in salt lake but, they're ricers... Kinda getting tired of having to smoke them so they don't go and tell their buddy's about how they beat up on a Trans am...
Wow you do some driving each day. Haven't found any meetings around here let alone many F-bodys.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
Wow you do some driving each day. Haven't found any meetings around here let alone many F-bodys.
Yeah, about an hour ten each way, it's not to bad, I have a little Nissan that gets 37 mpg. Kinda figured, I haven't seen many f body's around the valley but I have seen about 27485992726 mustangs and the same amount of subarus. What kind of cam do you have in your car? Any recommendations? And how much do you think premier will charge me for install if done right ( springs, push rods, rockers, etc.) is it a good idea to get heads too or will the stock ones be ok with something like a torquer v3?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Congrats and I know you are enjoying the change! They look good! I went ARH with their Y and high flowing cats with the LM1 and love the sound. Mine lost alot of the drone and rasp when I did this.
Thanks! I am enjoying the new sound and feel of the car, the rasp isn't to bad but the drone is a bit much, after driving about 600 miles this weekend I kinda got used to it, it's not my DD so I don't think I'll make any changes to the exhaust set up, now I need to decide if I should get a cam or rear end first, I know the ten bolt won't hold up for long if I get a cam, but I am anxious to try and make 400whp.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by krg123
Yeah, about an hour ten each way, it's not to bad, I have a little Nissan that gets 37 mpg. Kinda figured, I haven't seen many f body's around the valley but I have seen about 27485992726 mustangs and the same amount of subarus. What kind of cam do you have in your car? Any recommendations? And how much do you think premier will charge me for install if done right ( springs, push rods, rockers, etc.) is it a good idea to get heads too or will the stock ones be ok with something like a torquer v3?
I'm not sure how much Premier would charge to do the labor. I do all my own work and let Heath do the tuning.

The heads all depend on your budget. Stock heads can make good power, but you'll make more going to aftermarket. You also have the option to send your stock heads out to places like AI or TEA and let them port/polish, add bigger valves, mill them down ect. Do you know what casting you have ?

The torquer V3 is a big cam and I don't know if it will require you to fly cut the pistons or not. If your not looking for an max effort car I would go smaller and look at something like Texas speeds 228R cam or something slightly bigger.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Headers look nice, congrats on the purchase! My 99 formula made similar power as you when I was bolt-ons.

Quick Reply: My dyno with New SLP Long tubes and tune