New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how accurate are the oil pressure and water temp? also which fan turns on first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how accurate are the oil pressure and water temp? also which fan turns on first?

Finishing up my turbo install. I decided to keep my gauge setup to a minimum and simple. going with pillar gauge pod and have room for 3 gauges only.
wideband/boost and something else.

two of my main picks are either water temp or oil pressure.

but on the 1998 ive read that the water temp are functional. but just how functional are they? would you trust it enough?

how accurate is the oil pressure?

if you have room for one. which is least accurate on the factory gauges that you would install an aftermarket?

water temp or oil pressure?

my other question is which of the two fans turns on first(radiator fan) passenger side or driver side?

I was able to keep one of the fans and wanted to wire than as a primary fan. installed a pusher as a "a/c" or backup fans if one doesnt cool it enough.

thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

In the factory setup, both fans always run together. There is a high speed and low speed setting, but when engaged they will be on at the same speed and always at the same time.

For a '98, the water temp gauge is far more accurate than '99+ in terms of registering temp changes within the ~180-230°F zone where the '99+ are generally a dummy instrument. Having said that, the gauge face itself doesn't offer much information - but neither does the OP gauge.

If you want *real* information that's detailed, I'd probably not count on either. But in this case you might want to concern yourself more with oil pressure on a better indexed gauge as the temp gauge will at least tell you if things are moving out of your comfort zone.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're running a wideband, and boot/vac in the a-pilar, I'd add a fuel pressure to it and forget the water temp and oil pressure. In my experience the stock gauges work fine enough. Many cars don't even include them anymore lol.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lilliput 7" double din touch screen. Carputer. On board HP Tuners scanner.

Fin.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You could check the accuracy of your water temp gauge with a rented infra red heat gun or even a calibrated thermometer stuck into your radiator (fill cap off). You only need to worry about accuracy at normal operating temp (195-230). I tend to think the water temp gauge would be more accurate due to its fairly wide range.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
You could check the accuracy of your water temp gauge with a rented infra red heat gun or even a calibrated thermometer stuck into your radiator (fill cap off). You only need to worry about accuracy at normal operating temp (195-230). I tend to think the water temp gauge would be more accurate due to its fairly wide range.
I see, i mean im not really looking for 1* accuracy. even being off 10* wouldnt be too bad i would think as its a street/stock build. just as long as i know its not over heating or that it stabling out at 210* etc im fine with that.

with that said i may just go with oil pressure. my only real concern with oil pressure is you either have it or your screwed. by the time you notice it on the guage too late. but at least you would know to shut it down to prevent any more damage. but would the factory be sufficient in telling you that youve lost oil pressure?

water temp ive watched before and have always shut it down before it overheats. but water rises slower vs pressure drop.

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Lilliput 7" double din touch screen. Carputer. On board HP Tuners scanner.

Fin.
tempted but i dont know where i would put that. id rather just add more pods. if only i can find pillar pods for this car with 4 or 5 pods

Originally Posted by _JB_
If you're running a wideband, and boot/vac in the a-pilar, I'd add a fuel pressure to it and forget the water temp and oil pressure. In my experience the stock gauges work fine enough. Many cars don't even include them anymore lol.
my set up doesnt have adjustable fpr... i have not had any issues with any of my boosted car dropping fuel pressure before. im not sure what i would use this gauge for? if i had adjustable fpr i would consider it so i would know forsure my pressure is rising with boost.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In the factory setup, both fans always run together. There is a high speed and low speed setting, but when engaged they will be on at the same speed and always at the same time.

For a '98, the water temp gauge is far more accurate than '99+ in terms of registering temp changes within the ~180-230°F zone where the '99+ are generally a dummy instrument. Having said that, the gauge face itself doesn't offer much information - but neither does the OP gauge.

If you want *real* information that's detailed, I'd probably not count on either. But in this case you might want to concern yourself more with oil pressure on a better indexed gauge as the temp gauge will at least tell you if things are moving out of your comfort zone.
i take it one fan isnt enough to cool it? i had the car idling on moderately hot temp yesterday and it took some time to get the temp under 210... it was close to the next line...

Quick Reply: how accurate are the oil pressure and water temp? also which fan turns on first?