Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Explain PCV and Catch Can Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Explain PCV and Catch Can Setup

As the titles states, can someone explain to me pretty much everything about the PCV and installing a working catch can? I've been reading almost every thread on this subject for a few days now, and I'm straight up not understanding it. I have a Norris catch can coming in the mail, and I want to install it properly. So give me a rundown on locations of things, what needs capped, what hoses can be removed or reused, etc. I would rather not put a breather on my oil fill cap, but I'm not sure if the stock LS1 PCV with keep crank pressure down enough to keep seals from blowing out, etc. Explain it to me like you would explain it to someone new to cars, because I feel horribly dumb on this topic. The car is a 2002 WS6 M6 with the LS6 intake, ported stock TB, full exhaust and a Frost tune.
Thank you.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Nothing needs to be capped. The Catch can should come with detailed install instructions.
You will need some heater hose from autozone if the catch can doesn't come with it. You run the "dirty side"(the rubber hosing on the passenger side between the intake and the cylinder head) line to the top of the can, and then the same size heater hose from the side of the can to the side of the intake, like seen in this picture:

The catch can catches any oil coming through the line that would otherwise get into your intake and cause the car to run poorly.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

That makes sense. Things will only need to be capped if I switch to the LS6 valley cover, but then the same thing applies, run the PCV port coming out under the intake to the top of the can, then the side can port to the intake nipple. I've seen stuff about taking off the hose from the TB to the valve cover, what's that for?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISU-WS6
That makes sense. Things will only need to be capped if I switch to the LS6 valley cover, but then the same thing applies, run the PCV port coming out under the intake to the top of the can, then the side can port to the intake nipple. I've seen stuff about taking off the hose from the TB to the valve cover, what's that for?
With the way the PCV system works with our engines is the dirty line (valve cover to intake) is the vacuum line, being connected directly to the intake, the intake creates vacuum causing vacuum in the crank case. So the crankcase is now trying to pull air from somewhere, thats where the "clean line" comes in. Thats the line you are talking about that connects from valve cover to throttle body, that line is sucking air into the crank. Thats the air that travels through the crank case and then into the PVC line and into the intake, this air can carry oil vapor, and thats why we put a catch can there, to stop the oil vapors from getting to the intake and contaminating the air/fuel that goes to each cylinder. (oil will lower the octane of fuel)

This is also why its not good to just run a breather and cap off the clean line. That clean line has air that is already metered by the maf thats going into the engine (through the pcv system, and then into the intake). Putting a breather on will draw air into the engine that has not been read by the maf, causing the engine to run lean.

The following users liked this post:
fireberd350 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the excellent response. I knew it was a lot simpler than some of the other threads made it out to be, I just got very confused.

Quick Reply: Please Explain PCV and Catch Can Setup