New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs inop/brake light coming on

Old 04-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs inop/brake light coming on

Hey guys just bought my 2nd 98 z28 and was just looking for some help with a couple of issues.

First issue is that the abs inop/brake light will come on. It's intermittent. If I'm in town it won't go on but if I hop on the freeway or go over about 55mph it will come on. From what I'm reading I think it's possibly a wheel speed sensor? I bought a cheap abs code reader and it wouldn't read the issue. Anybody have any recommendations on a reader that won't cost me a lot of money that will actually work?

Second issue is that the security light stays on. No issues with the car starting just kinda bugs me a bit.

Any feedback recommendations appreciated
Old 04-17-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Check the connectors at the wheels maybe put some dielectric grease on the contacts too. Also make sure the brake pads have some depth left on them. If they get to low i believe the metal contact will touch the rotor, giving a warning light out too.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Do not use dielectric grease, you will cause more issues. Dielectric grease is an insulator not a conductor, applying that to your connectors will make your connections worse. If they are dirty, you can use electrical contact cleaner.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Highway speeds might be causing enough vibration to cause an intermittent ground in the wiring. A cracked, speed/tone reluctor ring would be causing your ABS system to activate and pulse...which isn't your current problem. Could be a failing sensor/pick up. Could also be buildup of brake dust/road debris around the sensor itself. Though a loose wire/aging electronics seems the most logical to me.

Security light issue could just be a door "open/ajar" sensor coming and going. Though that's more typically seen in rainy/cold/wintry environments....unlike Calif. I've run into that on the last 3 longer lived cars I've had (1996's to 2002's). Your interior lights will stay on if that occurs. Once your horn starts blaring on its own that's usually the next sign.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Abs inop/brake light coming on