Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Whine HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Whine HELP

So, I recently bought a 2001 Trans Am. It was bone stock with low miles and I couldn't pass it up. All in all, I love the car, but I've been having some issues that arose after I drove it home. There's been this loud, almost metallic whine noise/click coming from the engine bay area, and I figured it was one of my belts. So, I checked the belts and it turned out that I had a loose A/C tensioner pulley, and a cracked A/C belt. So I took off the belt (haven't put a new one on yet, Autozone gave me the wrong size) and the tensioner. The noise got quieter and the click went away, but the whine is definitely still there. The car drives fine, and shifts fine as well. I posted a video of the noise and I was told that it sounds like a torque converter whine, but I don't think that's what it is because it's not consistent, and the car shifts fine and doesn't really hesitate or anything. I tore *** today up the street and it made the whine, but it still felt strong as hell and shifted fine. Also, the noise only happens when it's in gear so that's the only reason that I think it could be tranny related.. I'm just hoping to God that it's not. If it helps, the car is an A4 with 2.73s. And another thing, when I hit the throttle, there's a noticeable click as well.. sometimes. It didn't happen today, but I'm sure I'll hear it again. It doesn't happen when I roll into the throttle though, just when I hit it. Please help, I'm getting pissed and I just want to be at peace of mind about the car . I have an LT1 Trans Am back home in Texas (I'm currently stationed in Ohio) and it had a helluva lot of issues, but all motor related, not tranny, so idk a lot about transmission issues. I'm going to try to upload the video I made of the noise as well. Input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Teching In

It's hard to diagnose a whine without hearing it, I always put my car on a lift. Have a buddy under it to listen to rear end engine and trans. Since your stationed away from home just take it to a good shop and get them to diagnose it. I know it's a bad answer to the question but a lift helps alot
Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

check the level of your power steering fluid. they whine when the fluid is low
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Like more than one click when you hit the throttle? Like a quick clicking? That could be seperate from the whine and could be low rpm detonation. Depending on the whine it also be a vacuum leak. Usually more like a mild supercharger sound but can vary as well.

Last edited by celtsean; 04-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Whine HELP