New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Ws6 Ls1 Knocking/Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2001 Ws6 Ls1 Knocking/Ticking

Going to make this kinda short just typed out a whole story about the issue just to have piece of Sh*t phone load up an add and erase it all, either way...

WS6
LS1
4L60E
213,213 miles

Two days ago: after a bit of speeding ticking occurred only at high RPMs
Yesterday: same as day before until night, oil pressure dropped to about 35 while driving. On the way home when the car would shift pressure would hit 0 then bounce back to 35.
This morning: Zero Oil in engine, filled to find leak, started to add pressure to help find leak, oil pressure fine haven't found leak yet but car is making loud ticking/knocking sound.
The
RPM fine
Idle fine
Oil pressure fine

I'll also post a link to a video of the sound it makes

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so brief not always the best way to go about getting help. Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place I haven't quite figured the site out yet.

Last edited by LcplDontKnow; 04-24-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You abused a 210,000+ mile motor and expected what exactly?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks, but I know how many miles it has just need to know what might be damaged, or if the engine is done.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't you check the oil after the ticking on the first day after the high rpm pulls? Engine is more than likely shot.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:13 PM

I checked the first day I heard the ticking and the oil level was fine, that day I had done some searching to see what could be making that noise I heard alot about possible plug/wire arching or exhaust leak so I assumed it would be one of the two (keep in mind at the time it was alot more quiet than it is now), not going to lie I didn't check the oil again, after that first check I ruled that out as a possibility(of course now I wish I hadn't).
I forwarded the video to a buddy of mine works as a mechanic he's thinking possibly lifter, or piston rod. Anyone know if that's likely or is that overly optimistic?
He's going to head over and take a look for a better diagnosis.

Also I should probably clarify what I mean by speeding and high RPMs this was on the highway nothing too extreme, ranging from 60mph to 85mph maybe 3500 RPMs
Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM

Sorry meant 4500 rpms
Old 04-24-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a bearing noise. And if you ran very low on oil that would be a likely outcome. If by zero engine oil you had to add 5+ quarts, you're lucky it sounds this good.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Kinda sounds like a spun bearing
Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like spun bearing to me...
Old 04-26-2015, 12:18 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies I'm sure ya'll are right I looked up a couple videos exact same noise turned out to be spun bearing for them... Well just a quick update on what I'm doing if it matters to anyone:

Got a couple things done yesterday once my more mechanically enclined buddy showed up he wanted to check the valves first so we removed the valve covers and cranked the car with the covers off, according to him valves were fine but there was white smoke coming from the center of both passenger and driver side heads (is that normal or help pinpoint any other issues). After that we started to strip the engine and upon removing the intake manifold found a complete mess under it, leaves, dirt, cigarette buts, plastic... All sorts of garbage under there (I've only had the car about two months but it was clearly mistreated I believe the guy had the car sitting for a while as well). I'll post pictures.

I'll still post the issue once I find it in case it helps anyone, if it's not all obvious already.

Not 100% sure the best course of action right now either, just don't want to end up doing nothing so I'm stripping the accessories off and going to pull the engine, any suggestions on a good way to go: rebuild, sell broken and try finding another one or is just replacing the bearing myself an option?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take to machine shop, new crank, clean up and stroke it.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by SladeX
Take to machine shop, new crank, clean up and stroke it.
Friend of mine suggested almost the same thing and I like the idea of getting the issue fixed and having the engine be a bit better than before, that's probably what I'll do.

And I really want to understand all this, so machine shop cleans up any damage done to the block by the spun bearing? The crank is possibly damaged because of spun bearing?(or is that a performance improvement suggestion?) and the machine shop also strokes the bores larger? Which which is a performance modification to allow the engine to take in more air right?

Any roundabouts for what each part of this might cost? I know I want to do it but just want to know how long I'll be saving up.

And again thank you the forum has been a ton of help already.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Here are the pics of what was under the intake

What we found upon removing intake manifold not rust but mud, leaves, plastic, cigarettes...

Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

And to think I was tripping on the slight ticking noise I have at idle and low rpm!!! Wow! That intake?!? How is that even possible?? Cigarette butts?? Wtf??Good luck man, hope you get her running strong. That car is glad to have found you!

Edit:
I just can't get that intake out of my head. What in the heck happened there? I keep seeing those pics. I have never seen anything like that. I mean the fact that it was in there with the gaskets sealed blows me away. Some of that is oil from the pcv, but that is extreme.

Last edited by celtsean; 04-27-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the issues, let us know what it's like when you get into a bit more. That's some weird stuff going on under that intake.

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
You abused a 210,000+ mile motor and expected what exactly?
Probably the same thing I expect when I rage on my 191k mile engine? Nothing? Forward motion multiplied with haste?

I know high mile stock LS1's that run better times than babied 40k cars, and vice versa. So it's all relative really.

- Drew

Quick Reply: 2001 Ws6 Ls1 Knocking/Ticking