New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does a muffler work exactly? does it still muffler when its bypassed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does a muffler work exactly? does it still muffler when its bypassed?

Just finished building my exhaust. i was extremely disappointed at how quite it became at idle or cruise.

1 over axle 3" thats dump = nice and loud.

I finished the remaining so from the over axle it goes into a T. on the driver side it has a super turbo muffler but on the passenger its a straight through(with a cutout)(so when i want quite it goes to the driver side but when not it opens- the passenger side becomes a straight through)

but to my surprise the car is muffled significantly even when the path of least resistance it the straight through.

why does the muffler still muffle when I still have a straight through system?

i found this image of what the system looks like. except mine is more of a T instead of a Y

Old 04-24-2015, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What exactly do you mean a T?

Air isn't going to like to turn a 90* and could likely be trying to go to the muffler and then going turbulent when it does find resistance inside the muffler rather than simply taking the "path of least resistance" at your T.

It's better to put a cutout in the I pipe before the axle.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
What exactly do you mean a T?

Air isn't going to like to turn a 90* and could likely be trying to go to the muffler and then going turbulent when it does find resistance inside the muffler rather than simply taking the "path of least resistance" at your T.

It's better to put a cutout in the I pipe before the axle.
attached the image. I know it wouldnt. which is why the T is for the muffler side.
the cutout will rarely be closed except for those time that i need it to be super silent so i figured it would be fine.

and i would put it before but im trying to avoid dumping it under the car. ( i was originally going to dump it right by the downpipe in the engine.) im trying to limit my exhaust smell inside the car so i want everything dumped in the back. I also want an option to quite it down when needed.

this will be mostly open usage, occasionally being closed. it just surprised me that it would actually muffle the sound when its straight through
Attached Thumbnails how does a muffler work exactly? does it still muffler when its bypassed?-cutout.png  
Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure why yours isn't loud with the dump opened. But I have the exact borla you have shown in the picture and if I take the plate out that bypasses the muffler it's obnoxiously loud. I would do like thunderstruck507 said and put your cutout up father before the axel. That will fix your problem and leaving it as far back as you can will eliminate a lot of the smell.

Quick Reply: how does a muffler work exactly? does it still muffler when its bypassed?