New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving down the road and lost all power

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving down the road and lost all power

I recently bought a 98 TA with a 6 speed. All was good for a week then twice in one day I was driving down the road and it was like someone disconnected my plug wires. That is the only way I know how to describe it. It just stopped firing. I pulled over on the side of the road and looked it over it had plenty of gas and when it came to a stop it had the foul improper mixture smell. After trying it a few times and looking under the hood lost, I tried it again and if fired up like nothing ever happened. It was as if the car was just messing with me. Anyways later that night it did the same exact thing again. Both times the car was warm when I got in it after sitting 10-20 minutes both times I got about 2 miles down the road. Both times I was driving moderately.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Side note All lights were still on and no new dash lights.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Had it happen to me in two cars before, turned out to be the distributor both times. The smells were probably un-burned fuel sent through since the spark plugs weren't sparking to ignite it.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peterd91
Had it happen to me in two cars before, turned out to be the distributor both times. The smells were probably un-burned fuel sent through since the spark plugs weren't sparking to ignite it.
LS motors don't have distributors...

Originally Posted by Keith Jordan
I recently bought a 98 TA with a 6 speed. All was good for a week then twice in one day I was driving down the road and it was like someone disconnected my plug wires. That is the only way I know how to describe it. It just stopped firing. I pulled over on the side of the road and looked it over it had plenty of gas and when it came to a stop it had the foul improper mixture smell. After trying it a few times and looking under the hood lost, I tried it again and if fired up like nothing ever happened. It was as if the car was just messing with me. Anyways later that night it did the same exact thing again. Both times the car was warm when I got in it after sitting 10-20 minutes both times I got about 2 miles down the road. Both times I was driving moderately.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Side note All lights were still on and no new dash lights.
No new dash lights? Do you have a CEL light on at all? By any chance did your trip meter or clock reset?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Oh, well then I'll lead more towards the side where I'm wrong Fairly new to the Ls1 world.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by N20zuki
No new dash lights? Do you have a CEL light on at all? By any chance did your trip meter or clock reset?
Check engine light is sporadic. It comes on and goes off randomly. I just bought the car and the previous owner said the light was something to do with taking out part of the EGR system.

Clock and Trip stayed constant.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Scan the OBD II. See if any codes are stored, that'll help isolate the problem (hopefully). $0.02
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM

Got a scan at O'Riely's it only had 4 codes.

1 Random misfire
2 EGR
3 Injected air
4 AC clutch over volt

It has not done that since the second time, but I know it is not magically fixed.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would remove EGR. Easy weight savings (very small weight savings anyways) and once it's tuned out you never have to worry about it throwing a code
Old 05-24-2015, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Keith Jordan
Got a scan at O'Riely's it only had 4 codes.

1 Random misfire
2 EGR
3 Injected air
4 AC clutch over volt

It has not done that since the second time, but I know it is not magically fixed.
check and make sure the plug wires arent melted at all

engine can torque under load and make them touch

also check for any bolts that could be wedged between any live wires

starter, alternator, ac,
check all engine grounds

Quick Reply: Driving down the road and lost all power