New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 into 2002 F body instrument panel compatibility?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 into 2002 F body instrument panel compatibility?

I have a 2002 camaro with the 3.8 v6. I want to put in a later model LSx with the supporting engine controller. Not interested in using the 2002 LS1 controller.

I cannot find anywhere info on whether the later ECM will be compatible with the dash and instrument cluster wiring from the 02 F body. I want to car to remain stock in the interior so everything has to work.

Who has the answer? Is there a document or book somewhere that will tell me what works with what?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the 02 pcm?

As for what youre looking to do... Theres a saying ive heard often in my shop, "anything is possible, just depends on how much you wanna spend."

My best guess is that no, the factory cluster will not just plug and play with a pcm from a different car.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the 02 pcm?
LS1 uses a 24 tooth reluctor wheel. LS3 uses a 58 tooth wheel, which will only work with its own ecm. Yes I can change the wheel, but on a crate motor that requires a total teardown and reassembly which kind of negates the value. Also there's a reason they made the change, probably to get higher resolution on crank position.

LS1s mostly use a cable throttle. Later models use drive-by-wire throttles which is superior IMHO for many reasons. I'd like to be able to keep everything as GM designed it as much as possible.

The later ECMs are much faster. It's my understanding that it's possible with later LS3s touse a "dry" notrous system, where only nitrous is injected and the ECM will add fuel as necessary. Earlier ECMs are not quick enough to respond so one must add fuel with the nitrous, making a nitrous system MUCH MUCH more complicated. It's very simple to just put a little nitrous in without adding aux. fuel supply. Makes nitrous much more practical as a modest power boost.

There are probably other reasons that I've forgotten, but this is what I recall as being the problems.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tjfawcett
LS1 uses a 24 tooth reluctor wheel. LS3 uses a 58 tooth wheel, which will only work with its own ecm. Yes I can change the wheel, but on a crate motor that requires a total teardown and reassembly which kind of negates the value. Also there's a reason they made the change, probably to get higher resolution on crank position.

LS1s mostly use a cable throttle. Later models use drive-by-wire throttles which is superior IMHO for many reasons. I'd like to be able to keep everything as GM designed it as much as possible.

The later ECMs are much faster. It's my understanding that it's possible with later LS3s touse a "dry" notrous system, where only nitrous is injected and the ECM will add fuel as necessary. Earlier ECMs are not quick enough to respond so one must add fuel with the nitrous, making a nitrous system MUCH MUCH more complicated. It's very simple to just put a little nitrous in without adding aux. fuel supply. Makes nitrous much more practical as a modest power boost.

There are probably other reasons that I've forgotten, but this is what I recall as being the problems.
You do realize Lingenfelter makes a converter box that solves the reluctor wheel issue, correct?

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VVo7WvlVhBc

I've done this conversion and went this route when putting the LS3 in my T/A.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

And as for the drive by wire, it's entirely possible to swap the gas pedal for the dbw.

As for chipset performance, did you have nitrous plans in the future for this build? Undeniably yes the pcm would operate quicker, thats what technology does. But the amount of engineering required for something like that, doesn't really seem worth it imho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 into 2002 F body instrument panel compatibility?