New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Camaro Tips

Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post General Camaro Tips

Hello all,

Just got my first muscle less then a month ago...
I'm new to the whole environment so general information would be appreciated.

A good example of the type of information im interested in would be cleaning:
I have a black 94 Z28 camaro... I love the thing to death but i just cant keep her clean. Is there any coats/wax I can put on her to slow the crud from building up? Washing her 3 times a week seems excessive.

Also my steering pump is starting to go... not to much of an issue because i was planning on swapping my entire steering system for something a little more professional. Any Brand suggestions?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As far as wax I use Dodo Juice supernatural. Very happy with the depth you get from it but it costs $150. Maybe try a paint sealant, lasts a bit longer than a carnauba wax.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This site is loaded with 10-15 years of good information on almost any topic you have questions on. There are separate forums on appearance/detailing, suspension/brakes, etc. You can also use the "search" function in any forum for specific key words you're looking for (ie "steering pump" or "steering upgrade" or "steering"). General information and FAQ's are listed on the top of each forum. Those are often a good place to start searching.

When I owned a '93 Black Trans AM for several years I didn't have to wash that more than once a week or couple of weeks. Keeping it under a cover, temp car port, etc. will slow down the gunk from accumulating. One thing I did wrong with that car was applying too much wax when the air was moist. I succeeded in applying multiple layers of wax that left a spotty film like peeling clear coat or acid rain damage. When I took it to the local dealership they wanted to repaint my car! A trip to a detailer got all that old wax off, fresh stuff applied....a few weeks before I ended up selling it. I've had a white Z28 daily driver too and that was even harder to keep clean than the black car.

I washed my daily driver yesterday and today it's covered in pollen and other tree "floaters." That time of the season I guess.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-20-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is black too. If u truly want to keep it clean the solution is simple
1-wash
2-dry, wax
3-put in garage, cover with car cover.
4-do not drive it.
Lol, seriously tho...
Mine is not perfect, so I wash once a week, if its only got light dust after few days, info what I call a quick wash...hose off, quick wash with microfiber mitt, literally 5 mins, then dry off with absorber (synthetic chamois) and done.
Otherwise, its gonna be dusty, and show everything. The rear being plastic is magnetic to dust, literally. Static makes sure of it. Black is a pain no matter what, but man is it sexy when clean.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You could try a claybar treatment. I do this to my blue once a year. You buy an automotive claybar kit, Mother's is good, then after you wash and dry the car you use detailing spray as a lubricant and gently rub the claybar one panel at a time. You will be surprised to see how much **** the bar will pull out of your paint. Look up instructions for further info.

This removes any bird crap, smashed bugs, etc that are stuck in the clear coat and all the old wax. I makes your paint smooth!

Then you apply new wax to that panel and move to the next one. This can take all day to finish a car or you can do it over several days but it is well worth it. The comparison between a clean fender after claybar and a clean fender before will convince you. Smooth.

**** doesn't stick as easily and if you get dusty you can just hit it with a water hose and dry with a bath towel or too.

Ask your car nut about claybar.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghardester
You could try a claybar treatment. I do this to my blue once a year. You buy an automotive claybar kit, Mother's is good, then after you wash and dry the car you use detailing spray as a lubricant and gently rub the claybar one panel at a time. You will be surprised to see how much **** the bar will pull out of your paint. Look up instructions for further info.

This removes any bird crap, smashed bugs, etc that are stuck in the clear coat and all the old wax. I makes your paint smooth!

Then you apply new wax to that panel and move to the next one. This can take all day to finish a car or you can do it over several days but it is well worth it. The comparison between a clean fender after claybar and a clean fender before will convince you. Smooth.

**** doesn't stick as easily and if you get dusty you can just hit it with a water hose and dry with a bath towel or too.

Ask your car nut about claybar.
Clay bar is awesome, amazing difference from it. Pulls so much crap out the clear. Smooth as glass after

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Camaro Tips