Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS power, lots of newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS power, lots of newbie questions

Yes I admit I did not use the search function. sorry if this all has been discussed numerous times.

I am an off road guy. I wheel hard with big tires and I've been kicking around the idea of swapping to an LS. I have a connection now and bought a 6.0 out of a work truck with 85k on it. The guy also can help me with cam and head swaps, wiring and tuning. id like to keep this build budget friendly but please feel free to offer high quality parts too.

first Question. I really want to get a ton of HP/TQ out of this motor. The only room i have available in the engine bay will allow a stock style super charger.no room for an intercooler in front or integrated under the sc. definitely no room for a turbo setup.

-my goal is to reach 700-800hp is that attainable with just doing a cam/head swap, sc with methane injection and tune?

-what cam?

-can i re work my heads or should i use a set of reworked 5.3 heads?

-can i achieve these numbers with a stock supercharger?

-how hard is it locate a stock used super charger and what do they normally cost?

-what methane injection kit is best to use (keep in mind i don't have a ton of room) got a link?

-id like a cam that can still work off idle for the low speed crawling. i may have to ask the guys on pirate 4x4 whats being used. id like to build power up to 6500-7k

-can i keep the cast pistons? I've heard these motors can take a real beating for a while but there may be times ill beat on the motor for 2-5 minutes w/o stopping

Ill be running a 4L80E with a manual valve body and 4 speed atlas. I heard great things from the KOH guys about the 2800 stall 11'' torque converter. should work well.

If I don't install the super charger right away i still want to set the motor up for it later. curious what kind of power i can expect out of this setup w/o the sc.

Thanks everyone in advance!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scott Smith
long post
look at the sticky :so you wanna be fast:

go to forums,,,,welcome to ls1 tech,,,newbie ls1 tech then the sticky is there in the yellow

edit: here you go https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

best bet for beginning with ls engine to learn

after that you will have to do a lot of searching

hopefully someone else on here has done what you're trying to do

good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ls1tech search function isn't good, your better off just typing the subject into google..All these subjects are pretty easily found.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Teching In

but i thought i could just post up a bunch of questions and people would just hand me the answers... LOL, its probably too much to ask in one post too. ill post one question at a time in the proper category and see if that works.

once work slows down ill have time to search and find the answers. for now I'm hoping the guys who know this stuff are willing to part with their knowledge.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

first Question. I really want to get a ton of HP/TQ out of this motor. The only room i have available in the engine bay will allow a stock style super charger.no room for an intercooler in front or integrated under the sc. definitely no room for a turbo setup.

-my goal is to reach 700-800hp is that attainable with just doing a cam/head swap, sc with methane injection and tune?

-what cam?

best cam is a custom built cam that works with whatever else you choose
thats why i said to read the so you wanna be fast sticky.. it answers most of these questions a lot better then most can explain

-can i re work my heads or should i use a set of reworked 5.3 heads?

theres numerous options for heads.. depends if you want to buy and install or send yours off to be worked on... also in the so you wanna be fast section

-can i achieve these numbers with a stock supercharger?

highly doubtful for rwhp numbers... have to run n2o setup also and have a fully built motor top to bottom or swap in a bigger engine,,, say lsx 454 like this http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...s/lsx-454.html

-how hard is it locate a stock used super charger and what do they normally cost?

never looked.. search classifieds on here

-what methane injection kit is best to use (keep in mind i don't have a ton of room) got a link?

no such thing as best... again everything is dependent on your setup and how you want to run it

-id like a cam that can still work off idle for the low speed crawling. i may have to ask the guys on pirate 4x4 whats being used. id like to build power up to 6500-7k

again custom built cam.. have to get all parts that you want and call a sponsor and they can take it from there

-can i keep the cast pistons? I've heard these motors can take a real beating for a while but there may be times ill beat on the motor for 2-5 minutes w/o stopping

if you are going for 700-800hp i believe you are looking at a full engine rebuild.... but maybe someone else can chime in

Ill be running a 4L80E with a manual valve body and 4 speed atlas. I heard great things from the KOH guys about the 2800 stall 11'' torque converter. should work well.

3600 stall i know for ls cars.. idk for 4x4

If I don't install the super charger right away i still want to set the motor up for it later. curious what kind of power i can expect out of this setup w/o the sc.

all depends on what you run

unlimited amount of options and have many supporting mods that need to be done as well

again so you wanna be fast is your best bet to start
Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Uziguy18, thank you for getting the ball rolling for me. Ill get going on this and report back

Quick Reply: New to LS power, lots of newbie questions