Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on used heads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on used heads.

Before I jump the gun and buy them, I want to make sure I'm not making a bad decision or overseeing something. These will be paired with a Vengeance Racing Vindicator cam (240/244 .605/.596 112 LSA)<br/><br/>Anybody have any qualms or bits of advice before I buy? Car is a nice day daily driver that'll see very little track time.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you know anything about Landspeed Development?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I've heard plenty of good things from various people.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Teching In

No advice, guys? I'm worried about them being overkill for a daily driven car, or not being as effective as a set of heads should be.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Launching!

get the flow numbers. looks like they pt bigger valves in and are using this spring kit.

imo it would depend on whats all done to your car. if its mostly stock it is probably overkill but if you plan on going all out they may be fine.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like a great deal to me if they are in good shape. They wont be overkill.

You'll need to take them to a machine shop to have the decks checked to see if they need a clean up pass made on them (in case the head surfaces are warped) and to check the valves and springs.. They will check the valves for how well they seal and check the springs to make sure none are weak/bad.

I would research landspeed development and make sure their heads don't have any common problems, I haven't heard of them. Also check their pricing new, if they are quality heads they should go for around 2k new. See how many miles are on the springs, if they have high mileage you'll want to replace them.

Don't forget to do your homework on the person selling them. Google search their name etc...

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-27-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks, all! Landspeed is a newish shop based in Indy. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and most of the speed shops around here use them for ls headwork. Heads have around 10k miles on them, which I assume is too many to reuse the springs. I'm new to the whole science behind engine building, but the heads milled to 62cc chambers won't translate to too much compression for a weekend warrior, will it? Also, my cam's lift/duration will still clear, correct? I've already accepted the fact that I will have to do valve relief cuts into the pistons. (I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology. Please bare with me, I'm learning. Haha)

Last edited by Squidwardo; 05-27-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Squidwardo
Thanks, all! Landspeed is a newish shop based in Indy. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and most of the speed shops around here use them for ls headwork. Heads have around 10k miles on them, which I assume is too many to reuse the springs. I'm new to the whole science behind engine building, but the heads milled to 62cc chambers won't translate to too much compression for a weekend warrior, will it? Also, my cam's lift/duration will still clear, correct? I've already accepted the fact that I will have to do valve relief cuts into the pistons. (I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology. Please bare with me, I'm learning. Haha)
I would like to change the springs myself just for peace of mind, but a machine shop could check them and tell you.

62cc will give you a nice bump in compression, you will definitely need to always use 93 octane (you should be now anyway). Your stock heads are 66.67 cc, LS6 is 64.45 and truck heads are 61.15 just to give you an idea. I don't know the answer 100% about your cam and needing to flycut, I would want to do it if it were mine. With a flycut it will, without there might be a problem. Call vengence and ask them, I have dealt with them several times in the past and had technical questions about their products and they were more than happy to help. I have their number saved in my phone because of that, 678-513-7105

Your terminology so far is spot on

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Sounds like a great deal to me if they are in good shape. They wont be overkill.

You'll need to take them to a machine shop to have the decks checked to see if they need a clean up pass made on them (in case the head surfaces are warped) and to check the valves and springs.. They will check the valves for how well they seal and check the springs to make sure none are weak/bad.

I would research landspeed development and make sure their heads don't have any common problems, I haven't heard of them. Also check their pricing new, if they are quality heads they should go for around 2k new. See how many miles are on the springs, if they have high mileage you'll want to replace them.

Don't forget to do your homework on the person selling them. Google search their name etc...
Excellent advice. Having them checked out by a machine shop is money well spent. To be honest, I would magnaflux them also. Small price to pay for such a critical performance part. Buying used can be great, or it can have its setbacks. You just have to use your best judgment and get all the info you can.

Quick Reply: Advice on used heads.