Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problem... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical Problem... Help!

Something (I have no idea what) took out my drivers side fog lamp (the glass was all shattered... it still worked, but I figured not for long), and so I replaced it.

Trouble is, now the fog lights don't turn on, and neither do my dash lights or my taillights. The fog lights still work when I hit the door lock on the remote, and the taillights still work when I'm on the brakes, so it has to be a fuse or a switch.

I tried replacing all the relevant fuses, but so far no luck. And to top that off, when I was replacing fuses, I pulled the radio fuse and now it needs a code. And since I bought the car used, I don't HAVE the code.

Crap!

Any advice, anyone?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that's weird. As far as the code goes, perhaps you can get a hold of a GM Dealership nearby you and work something out. I think that will be your only option if you don't want to sit there through trial and error to find the code.

I used to drive an '88 Deville that had electrical problems similar to what you describe, but nowhere near as bad. My flashers would sometimes work but not usually. It ended up being some wiring burning in the steering column that some schmuck taped together with duct tape. Never underestimate the stupidity of the previous owner.

The first thing I would do is check the wiring throughout the car. Big hastle, but I think that's the only way you'll be sure. It would be odd for it to be a wiring problem from what you describe, but if it's not the fuses and everthing is being affected it sure sounds like a short.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I found the radio unlock code! Yay!

Now, all of the things that are out are dependant on the headlight switch: dash lights, tailights, and fog lamps. All of these things work independantly, just not as they should when I turn on the switch. So I'm thinking it's the switch itself.

(Btw, the dash lights also work when I hit the "door unlock," just like the fog lights and tailights do)